Sunday, December 9, 2007

Autobiographical Autopsy


It's interesting how all your plans can change in a matter of seconds.

I was going to write a journal entry about friendship. Or love. Or little adventures.

I was going to tell you about my last Advanced Monologue class. Or finding out that my most recent ex-boyfriend already has a new girlfriend. Or how I saw "Dewey Cox and the Hard Walkers" (a.k.a. John C. Reilly in character for the movie Walk Hard) on their "Cox Across America Tour". I was going to write about seeing Edward Albee being interviewed by Richard Christensen. Or hanging out with two of my high school friends, and then going to a party filled with fringe-friends from my college days. Or the complications of my upcoming vacation.

I had a lot to write about, and it was going to be a light, airy, happy entry.

But then I was hit by a car.

Yes. Literally.

You know my theory that traffic stops for me because I'm cute? Turns out that it doesn't work when it's icy.

Last night, around 11:40pm, a friend and I were walking to a drugstore to get some munchies after dancing like mad-women at a party (a party at which we were pretty much the only ones dancing... but we had fun). As we were crossing the street, and the flashing red hand was telling us to speed-it-up-a-little, I saw a car approaching us. It was making a left-hand turn into the lane we were crossing. He saw us and smiled, so I didn't have that instinct to get out of the way in the split-second that I realized that our paths would cross. But the car couldn't stop because of the ice-covered road. We were both thrown up onto the hood before I knew what was happening.

My friend got the brunt of the hit, as she was walking on the outside. We were both in the air at some point, and the next thing I knew, I was face-down on the pavement.

My lower back broke the side-view mirror of the car. As some of you may know, I have back problems. Specifically with my lower back. I have an over-curvature of my spine front-to-back (lordosis), which has proven to be quite painful in the past. I also have an extremely mild case of scoliosis (an S-curve, side-to-side). And anything that touches my back in the wrong spot, even lightly, causes me to tense up because I'm so used to pain in certain areas. Actually, my back has been pretty good for the last three years or so. But there have been times when I couldn't be hugged without pain. Times when my spine was locked and I had difficulty walking. Times when I couldn't open a door for myself. So a side-view mirror to the back really wasn't the best thing for me.

Don't worry, we're both fine. Miraculously, we both got out of the whole thing relatively unscathed. She called me this morning to say that she's a little loopy (probably a result of the drinking she did last night, not the accident), but she doesn't have a mark on her. I gave myself a once-over in the mirror, just to check. Aside from a heart-shaped dark purple bruise on my bum (which looks a bit like a tattoo, and seems like a fun thing to get inked in the future. I think that of all the bruises I have ever gotten, this one is my favorite), I don't have any scrapes, scratches, or other visible injuries. Thank God for layers upon layers of thick bubble-wrap winter clothing. My back hurts quite a bit, but that's not unusual for me, so I can handle it. My neck hurts (which really isn't shocking). My knee hurts (I don't remember it hurting yesterday... must be a delayed reaction). But other than that, I'm oh-bee-kay-bee. Very lucky.

There were about five witnesses who stopped, helped, and freaked out on our behalf, asking if we needed an ambulance (they were all male, and a few of them extremely attractive, which I think helped calm us down... all that beauty... *sigh*). One of them stayed all through the police report and asked that we call him in the morning to let him know that we were alright. I just called and got his voicemail a few minutes ago.

It turns out, the driver of the car that hit us (a foreign food-delivery guy, who is terrified that he's going to lose his job... poor guy... really wasn't his fault, and he was very nice) was trying to make a left-hand turn when a bus cut through the intersection on the yellow light, preventing him from either turning or being able to see us. So then he was in the middle of the intersection on a yellow light as it was about to switch to red, and had to turn. And he saw us, hit his breaks, and couldn't stop. Really nice guy. He actually drove my friend and I home after the police report had been filled out. My friend told him that if his employer gives him any trouble, that she'd be happy to vouch for the fact that it wasn't his fault.

I can't help but wonder about what could've happened... My autonomous mind automatically turns toward an autobiographical autopsy. (sorry... wrapped up in wordplay... hope someone out there understands/enjoys my little joke).

What if my blog entries had stopped? What if I didn't return e-mails or facebook posts? What if the people who only know me from the internet never heard from me again? If I had amnesia, if I were in a coma, if I had died... they'd never have any more than assumptions and theories. They'd probably never have access to facts. It's a little unsettling to think about.

I sent a friend request to a former classmate of mine on facebook several months ago. I found out less than 24 hours later that he had died. And that friend request will forever be left as pending. It's haunting. I actually had a crush on him in third grade. And the boy I had a crush on in second grade has also died. I occasionally wonder if I should warn the boys I was crushing on in fourth and fifth grade, as I might be cursed or something, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence and that they'll be fine. No use worrying them over nothing.

Here's a weird quirk about me... You know how they say that in near-death experiences, your life flashes before your eyes? Didn't happen for me. In fact, I had this strange feeling like the whole accident was a dream as it was occurring. Maybe I had dreamt something similar and was experiencing deja vu? But even in the process of being struck, I wasn't really scared. It didn't seem real. And though I know that I could've been killed (did I mention that there was traffic in the other lane coming right at us as we laid in the street?), I wasn't any more terrified than I would've been if someone had come up and shoved me from behind. I think I was more frightened after the event than during it, although I'm not entirely certain as to why. Shock or something.

I'm thrilled that I'm not dead, by the way. It would be wholly depressing to die right now. I haven't accomplished very much. And I'm not really working on anything exciting. I'm just sort of floating until the next project comes my way. So really, it would be a horrible time to die if only because it's NOT a horrible time to die. When I die, I want it to inconvenience people (that's a sort of Wilde-esque thought, isn't it?). I want them to scramble to make the show go on. I want them to wonder how they'll ever replace me. And right now? My death would be a tragedy, of course, as I'm young and vibrant and have potential. But things would keep moving without me.

The only thing that would stop is this blog. And my unfinished novel. At least that. People will take the 147 unpolished pages off of my computer, read them, and imagine how great my novel could've been if only I had been able to take the time to edit and complete it. And their imaginations will create something far more impressive than I ever could've achieved. These things I write are, at present, my only unfinished work. They are the compositions written by my own hand. They are, to dissect the word, my autographs (heh... that one wasn't intentional... promise I'll stop).

Perhaps that's part of why I write. Theatre, my greatest love, is by its very nature a fleeting art. Once a production is over, it's over. Attempting to record it is not much more successful in its preservation than catching lightning in a bottle. Something seems a little more permanent about the written word. Maybe I'm attempting to grasp at the straws of immortality. (Tangent: I often wonder if that's part of the reason some people have children... In some cases, the children they produce are their greatest contributions to society, far surpassing anything else they create.) But really, I'm not all that worried about immortality. I'm not obsessed with fame (although I wouldn't mind a taste of it every now and again).

I don't care much about how long I'm remembered after I die. More important to me is that I'm remembered while I live.


May you find a way to make your life worth living (and remembering),

~A~


P.S. No man is truly invincible until he stops fearing death.

P.P.S. It has come to my attention that, for some reason, several of the pictures I put on posts in November have inexplicably disappeared. I'm not going to bother fixing any of the images. Too much work. I'm just going to ignore it and hope that it stops happening.

ETA P.P.P.S. I have taken a picture of my posterior for posterity, but it will not be going online.

21 comments:

Swanny said...

Glad yer ok.

They weren't nude photos of you were they? I could not bear that! Speaking of that, do we get a photo of the bruise? Yes?

Did you host the pics yourself or were they just hotlinked? If the latter, then they sometimes disappear for a myriad of reasons.

Angela said...

To Swanny - I uploaded the pictures myself through Blogger (onto picasa or something... however Blogger does it).

Anonymous said...

Wow, scary! I'm very glad that you're okay :)

Heidi Renée said...

Yikes. I'm glad you survived. I hope the back pain eases up.

Internet presence is something that lives with or without us, so I a) keep a list of my passwords on my laptop and b) have told the most pertinent ones to people I trust not to misuse them (husband, sister). If something happened to me, they'd deal with whatever Web stuff I'd left behind.

theinfernumflame said...

Glad to hear you and your friend are ok. Take it as....well, I guess take it how you want. But it's good that you're, you know, alive and healthy.

Katie said...

oh my god! i'm so sorry... i'm glad to hear you're okay...

as for the voting... it kinda scares me.

Renee said...

Wow. Just wow.
Freshman year, this girl got hit by a car on 933 while she was crossing on her bike. She wasn't hurt, and we laughed because that's the sort of thing that would just happen to her. You're not that way, though. I wouldn't expect this happening to you... so, I'm pretty shocked.

Glad to hear you're okay.

Perhaps that's part of why I write. Theatre, my greatest love, is by its very nature a fleeting art. Once a production is over, it's over. Attempting to record it is not much more successful in its preservation than catching lightning in a bottle.
This is exactly why I switched from theatre to writing. Good writing can be appreciated in multiplicity. Good theatre just fades.

However, I'm auditioning for Titanic in January. Ha.

R.E.H. said...

Good to hear you weren't seriously hurt when that car hit you.

I have never been hit by a car myself, but I've been in a serious car accident, so I can sort of relate. And, yes - it isn't scary when it happens... fear comes in after the fact, when it's calmed down enough for your brain to process the events, rather than simply register them... sort of.

Take care!

Ricky D said...

Yikes!

Can I just say "yikes" one more time?

Yikes!

Let me go on record and say this: That will be the last time I send you a trivial e-mail before reading your blog. I think that's probably why you got hit by a car. Sorry!

I am immensely relieved that you are OK, of course. I'm slightly glad I wasn't recording my reaction to your post; what a roller coaster...

As a "generally" private and independent person, I have had similar thoughts about what would happen if I should suddenly pass.

It's ironic. I don't feel as afraid over dying as I do that people would think I had just abandoned them without a word...

Anywho... Again, glad you're not too broken. Maybe you should go ahead and send me the picture so I can verify that, though. :P

DShan said...

first time at your blog, and it's almost R.I.P. i'm glad you're okay, because you're a wonderful writer.

"What if my blog entries had stopped? What if I didn't return e-mails or facebook posts? What if the people who only know me from the internet never heard from me again?"

i think that kind of stuff a lot. but in sadly literal terms too...i live alone, so i wonder how long it'd be before everyone noticed my disappearance.

which isn't something i'm thinking i should broadcast online, but whatever:)

Anonymous said...

First off, like your other friends I am very glad you are okay. Here in Houston we don't get the problem of ice. It was 85 here yesterday.
Yes the picture is me. A little self-portrait. I have a few more I might have to share with you later, if you ask. But more importantly is that you in the picture from this blog? That is an amazing photo!!!

Because of things that have happened in my life I have reached a few conclusions. Everyone's life is like a book. When new, we have a glow. Our pages are slow to open and we are treated with great care as to not get any damage. As we age our pages are easier to open because of life experiences our covers are no longer undamaged but it is what is inside that matters most. There are people that have incredible covers without any real pages inside. But there are people with average covers but pages that are so full of life that only get better every time they are read.
I think your life will be an epic adventure. People like myself find joy in your words and like your cover as well.
Everything that happens to us is a result of living in a system of chaos, but the beauty lies in the fact that we are still here. Immortality is not something you attain but is something that is given to you by those who are touched by your words and keep them alive long after we are gone.
Long live your words.
TCL

Katie said...

and a photo!

Valerie said...

Oh my God! I'm glad you're okay! I've been sliding all over the place and the worst I've been worried about is falling, or twisting my knee... Now I'm glad I haven't had to walk too much!

If you need a good chiropractor Dr.Aaron Wolfe at Planet Chiropractic on North Ave. is really good. He was my chiropractor after a car accident a couple of years ago. (He's also the chiro for the Chicago Fire, so you might even run into some cute soccer players--since beauty seems to help the pain go away for you)

Hope you recover well and quickly. Take care and stay out of the streets.

Julia said...

Wow. Very scary stuff. Glad you're alright though. Hope all your pains feel better!

And you're right about the internet things...
it's so strange to think about how people who "know" you online would never know if, god forbid, something were to happen. I think about that sometimes. My myspace, facebook, & multiple blogs would be fine to live on without me.

Once again, glad you're okay! Now I'll have to be more careful about crossing the street- I too tend to think I can stop traffic sometimes.

Angela said...

To Amy - Scary indeed.

To Heidi Renée - Ah, that password thing is clever... But I don't think there's anyone that I would trust with my passwords. Drat.

To TheInfernumFlame - Agreed.

To Katie - It's weird that it happened just a few short hours after hanging out with you.

To Renee - Break a leg at your Titanic audition! I saw that on Broadway back in the day. Didn't love it, actually. But I was in middle school, so what the hell did I know?

To R.E.H. - Agreed on registering vs. processing.

To Ricky D - It's very exciting to me to know that you had such a strong reaction to my post. I guess you're one of my almost-perfect strangers (see 12/13/07)

To d - Thanks for coming!

To TheChaoticLibra - That was wholly touching. You're such a poet. Thank you for your kind words.

To Valerie - As soon as I figure out my health insurance, I'll look into this chiropractor of yours.

To Julia - Yes, the traffic-stopping mentality is dangerous. Being gorgeous can only save your life so many times...

ShadowJim said...

I'm thrilled you're not dead, too!

Also, you are strange. Don't ever change.

Suggs said...

Wow, well it's great to hear you survived. When I recorded the video yesterday on Facebook, I hadn't read this yet, or I would have mentioned something about it. Near deaths haunt you for the rest of your life in wonderful and terrible ways. Especially terrible if it was your fault, which doesn't appear to be the case in your situation. Anyways, way to not die :)

Jamie Lovely said...

Ugh, the streets of Chicago are crazy. I got hit by a car in May crossing the street. Except this dude decided to hit the gas as I was crossing even though there was a red light. My boyfriend yanked me out the way but I still got skimmed. My thighs and hands were scraped up and bruised.

I'm glad you are okay though. It's very scary.

Angela said...

To Jim - Thanks, I think. And although I plan to change plenty, I think the "strange" is something you can't shake off.

To Suggs - I had a feeling you hadn't read it yet (you seem like the type to have commented). But that's okay. I forgive you. And I'll marry you anyway.

To Jamie Lovely - That sounds horrifying! And much scarier than my accident, as the person seems to have been at a high speed. The car in my accident wasn't going insanely fast, which made the whole thing feel like slow motion. Glad you weren't hurt too badly.

dkdisch said...

woah... Good story! but glad you're OK.

Angela said...

To dkdisch - Yes, it is a good story. And I love stories. :)

Oh, and in response to The Chaotic Libra, that picture IS of me. I don't know why I didn't answer that before...