- I have taken to using a 1940's fast-talking transatlantic accent from time to time on set, because I think it's funny (think Rosalind Russell in "His Girl Friday"). And honestly, I think I'm getting more and more hilarious by the day.
In one episode, there was a scene in which a prostitute was told she would be paid double her usual rate. The amount of cash left on the table for her in a paperclip? $6. We assumed she was being paid hourly. One of my fellow crew members commented that it must've been rough to only get $3 for a blow job back in the 1950s.
My response (in my best 1940's accent) was: "$3? That's not so bad. Why, during the war, we were just glad to have something warm in our stomachs."
- I've started taking improv classes. And I love them. And my teacher is a-mazing. So on Monday, I decided to go to an improv jam session, which was just a bunch of improvisers messing around and doing scenes with no audience. Great fun.
Anyway. In one of the scenes (complicated to explain), I ended up being the life coach of a woman who had an intense fear of bananas, and I was also that annoying customer at the supermarket who uses coupons for everything. So I bought 700 bananas, hid them in the room behind a curtain, and then surprised her with them. After she screamed, ran, and ducked under a chair, we decided she wasn't ready. So as I pulled the cord to hide them again, I said, "Pay no attention to the bananas behind the curtain." (A fairly lame Wizard of Oz reference, but everybody cracked up laughing, so I'm mentioning it.)
- Also in an improv game... I was a wealthy-but-unwise woman donating to a civil war re-enactment troupe.
Him: So glad you've decided to donate to us. I assume you're a history buff.
Me: Sort of. But the thing I love most is seeing who wins. It's always so exciting!
Him: A lot of our fans say that. Who do you think is going to win next time? The North?
Me: Japan. They haven't won in awhile.
- BONUS: On March 15th, I watched a scene being filmed where a character gets stabbed. That's the Ides of March, people. It was a great day for a Shakespeare geek.
In honor of the scene (which was a gay hate crime), a friend on set made up a joke.
Q: What did Caesar say when Brutus came behind him?
A: Gay, too, Brute?
In one episode, there was a scene in which a prostitute was told she would be paid double her usual rate. The amount of cash left on the table for her in a paperclip? $6. We assumed she was being paid hourly. One of my fellow crew members commented that it must've been rough to only get $3 for a blow job back in the 1950s.
My response (in my best 1940's accent) was: "$3? That's not so bad. Why, during the war, we were just glad to have something warm in our stomachs."
- I've started taking improv classes. And I love them. And my teacher is a-mazing. So on Monday, I decided to go to an improv jam session, which was just a bunch of improvisers messing around and doing scenes with no audience. Great fun.
Anyway. In one of the scenes (complicated to explain), I ended up being the life coach of a woman who had an intense fear of bananas, and I was also that annoying customer at the supermarket who uses coupons for everything. So I bought 700 bananas, hid them in the room behind a curtain, and then surprised her with them. After she screamed, ran, and ducked under a chair, we decided she wasn't ready. So as I pulled the cord to hide them again, I said, "Pay no attention to the bananas behind the curtain." (A fairly lame Wizard of Oz reference, but everybody cracked up laughing, so I'm mentioning it.)
- Also in an improv game... I was a wealthy-but-unwise woman donating to a civil war re-enactment troupe.
Him: So glad you've decided to donate to us. I assume you're a history buff.
Me: Sort of. But the thing I love most is seeing who wins. It's always so exciting!
Him: A lot of our fans say that. Who do you think is going to win next time? The North?
Me: Japan. They haven't won in awhile.
- BONUS: On March 15th, I watched a scene being filmed where a character gets stabbed. That's the Ides of March, people. It was a great day for a Shakespeare geek.
In honor of the scene (which was a gay hate crime), a friend on set made up a joke.
Q: What did Caesar say when Brutus came behind him?
A: Gay, too, Brute?


















No comments:
Post a Comment