
(Picture taken 02/29/08, in the city where I'll be attending graduate school. You should be very jealous right about now.)
The last week has been marked by the following events.
- I saw 5 plays in 7 days. And, shockingly against the odds, none of them was bad.
- I guest-blogged for two people (hence my missing post this week... I figured I'd covered it. And I think both of my guest posts are pretty great, so please go read them if you haven't done so yet).
- I became completely and totally obsessed with Lost, finishing seasons 2 & 3 in a week (well, technically I'll be done with season 3 on Monday night -- I saved one episode for myself in an effort to stretch it out a bit longer).
- I changed my relationship status on Facebook to "It's Complicated" (because, let's face it, it is).
- I have put off figuring out how to do my taxes for another week (but I did pick up the necessary forms from my old temp agency so that I can properly do them).
- I got my application and acceptance letter from grad school (I have already been made an offer, but I have to apply to the school as a formality).
- I had a really great cuddling session with a platonic friend.
And now I'll just expound upon that last point (because if I explored all of them, you'd be reading for the next several hours, and I wish to spare you that grief).
On Saturday night, my friend Mike's band was playing in a Battle of the Bands (I have previously mentioned Mike in my post So Close). And his band effing rocks. They won their night in the first round. Last night was the second round (in which the competition was exponentially more talented), and they came in second in the night. This means that they are officially qualified for classy elite third round. I'm so proud of him!
(NOTE: For the handful of you reading my novel-in-progress blog, I have to mention that the character of Sam is NOT based on Mike. I've never even mentally cast him in the role. But yes, upon editing it I've recognized a couple of similarities -- namely that he's in a band and I think of him as a brother)
(NOTE: If you are not reading my novel-in-progress blog and you would like to, leave your email address in the comments section. It's an invite-only soiree. Very exclusive.)
At the end of the night, Mike made a comment that we hadn't had a good cuddle session in awhile (I think the last one was in July. He was drunk. We were lying down on a narrow couch in a room full of people. And we were watching Shaun of the Dead at the time). I think he craved that physical closeness as much as I did. And so he and I headed to an apartment that some of his friends live in, and we crashed on a giant, sinfully comfortable air mattress. And it was glorious.
I love cuddling more than I can possibly say. And I'm a completely indiscriminate cuddler. I'll cuddle with men, women, gays, straights, I don't care. Most nights, I cuddle with a pillow or two, pretending that there is a human sleeping next to me.
Cuddling is particularly enjoyable when it's with someone who fits you. I don't mean personality-wise; I mean it in a completely physical sense. Some people's bodies just fit together well. Like legos. Or puzzle pieces. And other people... well, it's like trying to put two Slinkies together; you end up with a big tangled mess. Or sometimes, it's like a Slinky and a Rubik's Cube; two things that have no business being near each other in the first place and are better off alone.
But my As-Good-As-Gay friend Mike happens to be a very good cuddle match for me. Supreme. He's definitely in the top three best cuddle-partners of my life. In fact, he might win the title. He's that good.
He and I are mysteriously able to avoid all of the "awkward arm placement" scenarios that arise when I cuddle with other people. I'm not entirely sure how it works... I find it's best not to over-analyze these things. Besides, if I thought too hard about it, I'd be trying to recreate the experience with every other cuddle-buddy I ever tried out, and that would ruin half the fun. (Besides, if extraordinary cuddling is to be had, I think it's something that has to arise spontaneously.)
And perhaps the best part about cuddling with Mike is that, because we don't get into awkward positions, there's never a time when either of us pulls away. I have a tendency to wake up a lot in the middle of the night (curséd insomnia). I wake up less than normal if there's good cuddling taking place. And with Mike, whenever I do wake up, he's holding me. That's a beautiful thing.
Now, I'm not saying that this is always for the best. I understand a "squeeze-roll-and-release" move if you're having trouble sleeping. That's cool. Do what you have to do. I understand. I'm just saying it's nice when you find someone you don't have to do that with.
Ex #2 was a self-proclaimed "sensational cuddler" (I thought that was a notable adjective, so I remembered it). But then when I cuddled with him? No. Not sensational. Not remarkable in any way. Actually pretty terrible. The body match was mediocre at best. He wasn't attentive at all. And he always ended up on the other side of the bed (which, in a twin bed, is a bad sign). And then he accused me of being a terrible cover-hog (which I am) and singing in my sleep (which I still don't believe that I actually do).
For the record, Mike has never accused me of being a cover-hog. Probably because I'm not tossing and turning all night when I'm wearing another person like a blanket. I wrapped myself up in Mike, so I didn't need to grab the sheets.
Ex #1 was a good cuddler, save for one thing: he always wanted to be the little spoon. Not good. I'm 5'6". He's 6'2". He was a bigger sort of guy, and I was a tiny sort of girl (at the time... that was before I packed on my hibernation weight). The spoon position is really only going to work well in one configuration. And him being the little spoon? That wasn't it.
It's also not good when people think that spooning is the only way to cuddle. I prefer to mix it up a bit. I have about 3 preferred cuddling positions, but to try to explain them in typed form would only prove inaccurate... They're really so much better when demonstrated. And since I can't do that here... I guess you'll just have to imagine.
I wonder if there's some sort of reference book for good cuddling. A "Cuddle Sutra", if you will. Maybe I should write one...
I hope I'm a good cuddler. I've never really questioned it. I mean, I love cuddling. And I'm sort of a connoisseur of cuddlers... But how can I possibly gauge my own abilities? I suppose it's impossible. Particularly since I have no idea what other people look for in their cuddle-buddies. I only know what I myself look for...
So, in case you missed the memo, here are Angela's rules to cuddling:
- Do cuddle with people that you have completely platonic relationships with, provided you're clear about intentions beforehand
- Don't try to cuddle with people who don't want to be cuddled with
- Do tell someone if you get into one of those "awkward arm" scenarios and your circulation is being cut off
- Don't attempt to be the little spoon if you're clearly the bigger person
- Do consider holding on instead of rolling over
- Don't feel like you have to stay in the same position all night long (it's okay to reposition... or to separate yourself if you're having trouble getting comfortable)
May you find someone who fits you.
~A~
Monday, March 10, 2008
Cuddle Bunny
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















13 comments:
"May you find someone who fits you." Love it. It speaks on many levels, especially right now with my relationship woes.
I am very jealous of where you'll be attending grad school. That picture alone makes me tear up hehe :)
I love cuddling. I think that's something I miss the most. The long distance thing makes it difficult to get cuddles on a consistent basis. I've never really thought about cuddling with platonic friends, mostly because I don't have many haha!
I can't believe you finished seasons 2 & 3 of Lost in a week! That's amazing.
I did my taxes a few weeks ago. They weren't too scary. Then again, I don't have much other than my checking & savings accounts so it couldn't be THAT hard.
This has got to be one of my favorites posts EVER.
"The art of cuddling"... priceless.
I'm considering moving south this fall...your picture and the fact that Buffalo got like two feet of snow last weekend make me consider it more!
I'm with Jenn on the whole long distance relationship = less cuddling = uncool, thing. I haven't seen Tcho since early January (but will hopefully be seeing him Easter weekend)! I'm self sufficient here, but I definitely look forward to seeing him and getting lots of cuddles!
I'm working on my taxes too. A little daunting at first, but it doesn't look like it's going to be too hard. Good luck to both of us!
Nothing wrong with a good cuddle-buddy! Even though Sweets is 6'3 and I'm 5'2, we fit quite well. I think I'll keep him!
Love the idea of someone who fits me! Also my Best Friend resisted Lost for so long saying she thought it was lame and then got totally sucked in. I got sucked in from the start...
I love the term cuddle bunny, and I love cuddling. I'm headed to bed momentarily to do just that with one person and three cats.
And not that this is at all relevant to your post, but I'm going to start writing again, so click on over sometime so I know I have an audience (in that vein, what stat counter thing do you use?).
Great post! And I'd love to read the novel/blog - I'm at linaire@googlemail.com!
Cxx
I'm interested in the psychology of Ex #1's little spoon thing. The mental picture of a little ~A~ clinging to #1 like a koala bear hanging on for dear life in a big tree does make me laugh.
I like cuddling, but I have this terrible disorder which, oddly, involves only breathing out of one nostril at a time. And thus far spooning has been my only cuddle-option. So, laying on my side and being unable to breathe easily ends up with me rolling over. It's a sad thing, but hard to avoid.
Because of my innate fear of physical intimacy, cuddling freaks me out. Unless it's with someone I have known for a long time and share mutual trust.
I bet cuddling isn't even supposed to be a big deal, but I can't get over this physical thing.
Maybe something's wrong with me?
Maybe, as you recommend, I need to find someone that fits me.
note: What's Mike's band's name? I wanna hear.
Have you considered taking cuddling to the next level? That's right, I'm talking about all-out huddling. It's quite good for cuddles with more than two people, although it cuts down on the intimacy of the one-on-one cuddle. An unfortunate side effect.
To Jenn - I love that you love the blessings. :) Not having a cuddle buddy is definitely a rough part of long-distance. Hence why I have platonic ones... If you ever need a cuddle buddy, you can pop over to my place. Like I said, I don't discriminate based on gender... Lost is really, really good, and I couldn't stop. I only have a checkings and savings account as well, but I changed jobs last year, so I'm worried that'll complicate things.
To PinkSunDrops - You're sweet! Glad you liked it.
To Amy - Dude, come visit me in Sarasota! And yes, good luck with the lack of cuddling and the taxes.
To Nilsa - As long as Sweets doesn't try to be the little spoon, you should be fine. ;)
To Cheryl - I like it, too. And I, too, resisted Lost. Ex Boyfriend #2 tried to get me into it, but I really only got into it as a result of the writer's strike. And now? Hooked!
To Heidi Renee - Bunny is probably my favorite word, and I will use it whenever possible. And don't worry, I added your blog to my Google Reader. I use Google Analytics and StatCounter, as I think they complement each other well (and are both imperfect on their own).
To Claire - Thanks! And you've been invited to the novel blog.
To ck1 - Nice imagery. Yeah, it was sorta like that...
To Eric Shonkwiler - Oh no! Unable to cuddle? That's tragic! I hope you can eventually find a way to negotiate that issue.
To Nico - Cuddling isn't for everyone. I had a roommate once who had a problem with physical contact in general. But I love it. Mike's band is currently called "The Villers". It seems like it's sort of an evolving band, which always involves him and his friend Jim. In the past, they've been "Call Me Burgundy", "Lake Shore Drive", "2 Micks, 2 Mikes", and my personal favorite, "Caligula and the Minnows" (and then I think they were just "Caligula" for awhile).
To TheInfernumFlame - I have done some group cuddling. I was once one of five people on a prop bed made of wood. The bed wasn't perfect, but the cuddling made it comfortable.
...please where can I buy a unicorn?
Post a Comment