I've had a post window open ever since I walked in the door a few hours ago, but I haven't been able to figure out how to write about everything that happened last night.
Last night was the karaoke going-away party I threw for myself. And it rocked. Or, at least, from what I remember... I may have had a lot to drink.
Luckily I had the foresight to bring a notebook with me last night and write down names of people who came so that I wouldn't forget in case I was insanely drunk... Which is good, because otherwise I wouldn't know that 35 people came to the bar to say goodbye to me during the course of the night (that's assuming I didn't forget anyone). Coworkers, Tony n' Tina's folk, NaNoWriMo buddies, bloggers, college friends, an ex-boyfriend (Ex #2, who is the one who inspired me to start this blog), a former roommate, and even a high school friend. It was pretty epic.
I felt so popular.
The funny thing is, the people who were my best friends in the city last spring were not in attendance at all. None of them. And you know what? It didn't matter. I've made so many new friends since then that I didn't even notice until I was reviewing my "who came" list just now. Weird.
Other notes on my list:
- My friends Jim and Mike both said "You're special" to me at the exact same moment. Clearly, that means it's true.
- My first drink was something the bartender made up called a "G-Spot". It tasted like it was made with pixie sticks. Loved it.
- My second drink was made by the other bartender. He said it was an alcoholic version of a kiddie cocktail. He called it a "Drew Barrymore" (ha! I get it!). Delicious.
- "Lisa bought me something awesome". (No idea what that was. In fact, no idea how many drinks I had total, or what any of them were.)
There were other notes in my book that are in other people's handwriting, and I have no idea who wrote them. But oh, am I glad they did.
- "Danced on the bar -- to "Baby Got Back" "
- "Spoke with EVERYONE in the bar. And liked it."
- "Danced with half the people in the bar (and John the bartender)"
- "performed the hell out of the Black Eyed Peas - great job!"
- "Ditto - Jim"
- "Despite what some people said, never ran out of energy"
I clearly have awesome friends.
I remember that I sang "Ignition" by R. Kelly (which was way lower than I thought it should be), "Where Is the Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas (pretty drunk at that point, so it was probably pretty funny), and "The Remedy" by Jason Mraz (a random girl at the bar actually took my camera from me and took a video of that one, so I have PROOF that it was a trainwreck).
(Shoot... Tried to upload video, but there's an error. Oh well.)
A few people gave me going away presents, which I wasn't expecting. Jenn gave me a great picture book that alphabetically lists interesting things about Chicago so that I won't forget it. My former boss gave me a Coach locket keychain that has a ladybug on it (a wink to the fact that she calls me "Jitterbug"). My friend Jim burned me a DVD of some anime that he likes, and also a CD of an unfinished song he's writing called "Farewell to an Angel" (awww!!! How adorable is he?).
What else do I remember... Let's see...
I know my former coworker sang "Sweet Home Alabama". Pete and Joy sang "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". Pete rapped something, and some other random guy grabbed a mic and rapped with him. My friend Mike sang "One Week". I danced on the bar multiple times. I think I danced on a chair, too. I found out that Ex #2 is still dating the girl he started dating directly after he dumped me (good for him!). I remember Dan Mega doing origami with bar flyers (he's rather adept at making hats, for the record).
That's pretty much all I can think of right now without anyone helping to jog my memory
Maybe the reason that I don't remember much of the night is because I'm so distracted by what happened after it...
I made out with someone in the bar. No, not the Sicilian bartender (he couldn't make it). A very hot guy whom I know, but not all that well. And I went home with him.
It was great, for the record. Unexpected. Shocking, in fact. And fun. I'm still processing everything that happened. (Don't jump too far in your assumptions; I still have a V-Card.)
Forgive me for not writing more about this one, but trust me when I say I have good reasons.
I'm not sure if I'll be seeing the bartender tonight or not. Haven't heard from him. I'll let you know if anything happens on that front.
May you find your wild side.
~A~
P.S. I'm currently the Featured Blogger on 20 Something Bloggers!!! HOLY CATS!!! Thank you to everyone who nominated me!
Thursday, August 7, 2008
A Wild, Wild Party
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















25 comments:
I totally wish I could have been there, but alas! I live a gazillion miles away.
Wish I could have been there ... kinda hard so many states away.
Clearly, you do ROCK!
The more posts I see like this, the more inclined I am to move to Chicago.
BTW hooraaaaay for the feature!
Yes for the (almost) tell-all post!! Dang I wish that video worked! Congrats on being featured! very well deserved!!
Holy cats, do I love you.
sounds like the perfect going away party! i love it :)
Great! I'm glad you had such a fun time and that so many of your friends celebrated with you. You sound like you had a BLAST!
- "Danced on the bar -- to "Baby Got Back" " <-- Lisa wrote that (I think that's her name)
- "Spoke with EVERYONE in the bar. And liked it." <-- I think that was me
- "Danced with half the people in the bar (and John the bartender)" <-- I was writing how you danced with half the people in the bar when Lisa told me to write down your dance with the bartender
- "performed the hell out of the Black Eyed Peas - great job!" <-- Also me (C'mon, you can't possibly think you could have sucked at that song)
- "Ditto - Jim" <-- Self explanatory
- "Despite what some people said, never ran out of energy" <-- Me also
So that about solves that. That's what you get for leaving your notebook next to me and Jim.
Glad you had a good time though. And you know you're totally special. In the good way, of course.
Congrats on being the featured blogger! That is uber cool and I'm slightly jealous.
Ps. TAG! Check out my blog for details.
Congrats on being the featured blogger, you totally deserve it. I love the picture and am sad I missed the party. We should get together before you go, coffee? Cupcake?
i'm still upset we didn't do karaoke when I was in chicago :-(
i like it when you have happy posts!! : )
and congrats on being featured!
Wait, if I ordered a "G-spot" in any bar would they know what I'm talking about or are you just trying to make me look like a pervert?
Yay - what a great going away present to yourself! You clearly had a great time with lots of memories. Sorry I couldn't be there.
I wish I could have been there! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!
Good lord - sounds like it was quite the going away party! A drink that tastes like pixie sticks? I wish the bartender had written the recipe in your notebook!
But...I wish I'd been there. Gonna miss you :-(
I missed it. No fair :( I got to meet you but I wish I would have sooner cuz ya youre much cooler than I figured you would be. Dont get me wrong I knew you would be kick ass but not that kick ass.
Will Baby Got Back go down as one of the greatest rap songs of all time? I would've liked to have seen you dance to it in a drunken stupor. I hope you got buns, hon.
You owned the Black Eyed Peas song. I loved that. Maybe if I ever do karaoke again I'll try Let's Get it Started...which will probably be a hilarious train wreck, haha.
Has anyone told you you're a fabulous dancer? I'd kill for your sense of rhythm.
Ah yes! The origami. Someone gave you one of those cranes and it wouldn't stand up. That was awesome. *laughs*
On an unrelated note, I totally didn't realize Jim's song was referring to you until I read this post. *facepalm* Missing the totally obvious. I think I'll minor in that when I get to college...'Tis a great song so far, I'm sure you'll agree. Gonna be one of my favs, methinks.
Also, you totally left out (not that I wanted a mention! *hides*) how I "rocked out" as Mike not at all aptly put it, singing When the Stars Go Blue by the Corrs and Bono. I think I screwed up parts of it but I got some compliments from your friends on my performance, so I being tone deaf will defer to undoubtedly sounder judgment. But I did leave out some stuff near the end...got a little lost 'cause I'm so used to singing along ya know.
Yeah, me singing in public is one of those extremely weird/different things for me but it was fun. I may have to try it again some time...
Wish I could have made it, but I was still working my summer camp job. Now I will just have to keep saying I should come visit Florida instead of Chicago. :-P
That night was fun. Had it not been a work night I would have unleashed the beast and stayed longer. I'm glad you had fun though.
The least I could do for such a special girl. ^^
(For the record, Mike actually burned the DVD.)
To Michael - No worries. :) Another time.
To Donna - We'll meet someday. :) And thank you!
To Nico - No! Move to Florida to see me! And thank you for helping me get the feature!
To Tipp - I do try. Thank you so much!
To Heidi Renée - Right back atcha.
To Katelin - It was a great time.
To Angela - I did!
To The Infernum Flame - Thanks for clearing that up, buddy! And thank you so much for coming. I loved having you guys there.
To bFlat - Thank you so much! I'm totally thrilled. OMG, I'm sorry I missed the meme... I have so much going on now that I think I'll skip it. Hope that's okay with you.
To bayjb - Thanks so much! I'm sorry I didn't get to see you again before I left!
To Maxie - Next time... WE'RE GOING.
To Alexa - Me too. And thanks!
To Jill - Bartender made it up, so you'd better not try to order it.
To Nilsa S. - No worries. It was a good time.
To Roisin - You had a date with Will. No worries. I'm going to miss you, too.
To Meg Kathleen - It was indeed. And I wish I had the recipe, too!
To k - I'm just glad we got to meet once. :) Thanks for calling me kick ass!
To Andy - I got buns, hun.
To felis-stellaria - I'm glad you liked my performance. :) And yes, I've had compliments on my dancing before. I TOTALLY FORGOT you sang until you mentioned it. But yes! You did fabulously!!! I hope you do more karaoke in the future.
To Joey - Yes. You must come visit me in Florida.
To Dan Mega - I'm glad you could make it. :)
To Shadowjim - You're a doll. :)
Post a Comment