I still don't know who I'm watching in "Tony n' Tina's".
I've been a waiter for several weeks now, and I was hoping that I'd find out what character I was being considered for this week. But when the schedule arrived, that didn't happen. The other three newbies all got their assignments. Just not me. Instead, I'm going to be waiting tables all three nights. Which is fun, don't get me wrong, but I'm so antsy.
I mentioned in front of some cast members that I was frustrated by the wait. One of them said that it was probably delayed because I took off an entire 4-show weekend so that I could go to Nebraska. Well, isn't that just terrific.
Before the show, I was mid-conversation with some of the other actors when one of them turned to me and said, "Who are you?"
I thought she was kidding. She wasn't. She kept asking things like, "Have I met you? Have we done a show together? Are you sure?"
I've done at least 8 performances with that woman. Granted, she plays a character who is not in the pre-show and doesn't interact with Black Staff at all... and she uses the dressing room while I'm out doing pre-show... But still. It was upsetting.
After the show, I got into a discussion with the ASM, again expressing my discontent over not being assigned a character to watch. I inquired as to why this might be. He said, "To be honest, [the director] doesn't remember you."
"Yeah, very funny."
"Oh, I'm not kidding."
"Seriously?"
"When he sent over the schedule for this week, he forgot to put you on it. So I said, 'Hey, what about Angela?' And he said, 'Angela?' And I described you, and he said, 'Oh, Angela. Right.' So we put you on the schedule."
"He doesn't remember me?"
"Well, he hasn't seen you since your callback. He's seen the others. He usually comes on Fridays..."
"And the only Friday I was scheduled for was the one he couldn't make."
"And that one when you were on vacation."
*sigh*
Probably not a good sign that the director of the show I'm in forgot I existed and couldn't remember who I was without assistance.
Am I really that unremarkable? That forgettable?
I often think of myself as some sort of a character. At least, that's how people treat me. And I don't always like being the jester or the oddball, but I don't like this whole "fading into the walls" deal, either. Especially not when it has the potential to hurt my career.
Not that I'm referring to this show as my career... But in general. I plan to work in an industry in which being memorable is a great asset. And now apparently I'm not special enough to be noticed by a cast member or a director. Not good.
It'd be different, I'm sure, if either of those people had seen me in action. "Hot Cocoa" is still a work in progress, but "Carmella" is fully formed now.
Carmella
- WEIRD voice (that is really annoying outside of context, but funny in the show)
- Dumb as a box of rocks
- OBSESSED with reality television
- Overbearing mother
- Has had a lot of family members on "COPS"
- Likes paint-by-numbers
- Uncoordinated
- Loves to dance (but doesn't do it well)
- Likes to sing (but doesn't do it well)
- Took a correspondence course in Italian (knows about 20 words and can't pronounce them well)
- Has a special fascination with disco
- Roots for global warming every winter, but regrets it in the summer
- Is single because her mother told her men are evil
- Gets excited by pretty much everything
Hot Cocoa:
- Thinks she's ghetto, but is CLEARLY not
- speaks in a horrible "black-ccent"
- From Indiana
- Thinks weddings are depressing
- Considers sending couples condolence cards for their weddings
- Used to work at McDonald's, and misses the free cheeseburgers and McGriddles
- All her dancing includes hip gyrations and booty shaking
- Used to date Vito, but stole his cell phone and deleted her number when she saw him flirting with other women
- Smiles about as much as someone who works at the DMV
I'm sure if they saw me in character, they'd remember me. I make huge choices. And I get the audience members to laugh, dance, participate, and have fun in general. I'm good at it.
(Actually, that makes me feel great about my job. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Theatre can change the world.)
I'm trying not to take it personally. But still. It's disappointing when people don't know you're there.
May you use your power of invisibility for good instead of evil.
~A~
Friday, June 6, 2008
Forgettable
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















14 comments:
my suggestion, next time you are by the director, belch. Men don't forget a woman that can belch.
I remember you!
Give it time and I'm sure that the director will notice you. Don't worry :-)
Bummer about not getting a full part yet but I know it'll happen soon. Chin up.
You, Aiea, are definitely memorable and remarkable. Isn't your fault if the director hasn't noticed yet (he's probably a major moron, anyway).
Trust me, you're memorable. Talk some people into getting you in there on Fridays so you can make that impression. Speaking impressions, yours are good. Keep at 'em. :)
Also, trust me when I say I've been there. Try being on a basketball team and having the coach forget you're there....when you're sitting. right. next to him. *facepalm*
But yeah, speak up. If their memories are so bad, give them a reason to remember you.
Haha I like Rachel's suggestion! Not that it means much, but I remember you!
Of course you're a professional actor, so you won't let this affect your choices.
One of my great friends has been an Equity actress for over 30 years, and is currently starring in a world premiere adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. The reviews were great, but one reviewer came after her with a vengeance. Two paragraphs of personal attacks. He went so far as to say that her voice made his ear lobes curl...
Long story short, she's not changing one iota of her performance, and the audiences love her. They jump to their feet every night and cheer her.
I'm certain that you don't blend into the wall. It sounds like the director may need to attend a bit more.
I'd just think of it as a set of unfortunate circumstances that led to this, not any kind of reflection on you or your talents. That is really what it seems like, as I am more than sure that you are fantastic :)
Also, I Just went back and read your "Theater Can Change the World" entry, and I have to say, I've been debating going to grad school for theater education, and you may have just convinced me :)
Your characters sound HILARIOUS. And I feel forgettable too sometimes... but you don't seem like an invisible woman to me. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances.
I think you said it yourself- if either of those people were to have seen you in action, they would remember you.
Hang in there, and you'll definitely get noticed soon :)
This sounds like a terribly uninvolved director. Part of the director's job is to know the strengths of his actors, and capitalize on them. Forgetting a cast member is a big blunder on his part, not on yours.
To Rachel - Luckily, it didn't come to that. I don't think I can belch on cue.
To dkdisch - I'm glad someone does!
To Maxie - Thanks.
To bayjb - Thanks.
To shadowjim - Awww. Thank you.
To theinfernumflame - That's so sweet. Thank you. And yeah, I'll try harder to be memorable.
To Jenn - Thanks for remembering me.
To CK1 - You're right. I won't let it affect anything. :)
To Amanda - Thanks for your confidence. And I'm so glad that my post affected you! I love that post. Probably my favorite.
To Seven - Thanks, I think they're pretty funny. And I think you're right that it was just circumstances.
To Sandy - Thank you.
To Heidi Renée - Because it's a long-running show, he's not there all that much. It's just kind of the nature of the beast. He's there when he needs to be.
Post a Comment