
I had to stop blogging for a bit. To collect my thoughts. To prevent myself from writing things I'd regret. To live life instead of thinking about life.
I was wrong a few posts ago when I said I was done crying. I wasn't. I've cried a few times since then. I'd like to say I'm done now -- I feel like I am -- but I won't make that promise. I'll feel completely fine for long periods of time, and then suddenly feel wrong again. I woke up Saturday feeling fine, and I've been okay since then. Hopefully it'll stick this time.
I could tell you what's happened with Brian in excruciating detail, but I won't. It's not going to help me heal. And it's not helping him any, either. I know he'll understand if I continue to write about him. He'll support my right to use this blog to vent. And I won't stop altogether, because that's not my style. But this blog isn't about him. It's about me.
I will tell you one thing about him... He's gone.
I don't mean from my life; I mean from the country. He's in the armed forces, and he is now on another continent. For a while.
It's probably the best possible thing that could happen for me right now. I can't call him and ask him the same questions ad nauseum (the sorts of "but why?" questions that he's been so kind as to put up with thus far). I can't text him. He was never in reach, but I feel like he's finally been put at a distance. And it's exactly the sort of aid I've needed to get over him. The kind I haven't had before. I'm glad for it. Almost relieved, in fact, that some of the decisions I would've made are being prevented. It'll help us to be friends in the long run.
I'm going to write him letters while he's gone, but I'm not expecting responses. He's going to become my "Mr. Henshaw". I'll write the things I need to write without worrying who's reading them the way I do with this blog. I know I can tell him anything, because I already have. And not having regular responses will be good for me. Not having written things to look back on and agonize over, but rather ones sent off into the void... also good. I hope he doesn't get annoyed by the whole thing. But I'm not too worried about that. I think he'll be happy for any contact he has to the USA while he's gone.
Other than the little I've scribbled to him so far, I haven't written anything lately. I haven't worked on my novel because my emotions were clouding those of my characters. I just kept wanting to kill off characters. Or create situations in which the main character was feeling what I'm feeling. I'm taking space from it so that I won't ruin it. I care too much about what I've written so far to muck it up by using it as therapy.
I'm actually supposed to go to a write-in tonight, where I was planning on picking it up again. But it's been so long since I've just been home for a night... so I'm skipping it. And I'm blogging instead.
I forgot that I missed this. Writing, I mean. It's only been, what, 9 days since I wrote a real post (I'm not counting that filler thing about what celebrities I get compared to... wasn't really my style)? I'm sure many of you didn't even notice the absence (which is fine... I read so many blogs that I often don't notice when people stop posting for weeks at a time). But I noticed it. I've considered forcing myself to blog, but I'm terribly against that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I don't blog for you guys, I blog for me. And if I have nothing to say, then I'm not going to say anything at all.
And when I have a lot to say? Well, then you get the mini-novellas that I'm sure you've come to expect from me.
Actually, it feels like longer since I've posted, as I was making a conscious effort not to mention Brian. Censoring myself makes it feel like I'm not really writing at all. It feels too... calculated or something. I don't know.
I have been busy, though. I mean, I've made time to blog in the past when I was busy, but I've had enough distractions that I was able to convince myself that I didn't have time for it. I've been going out and visiting people. I go out to the bar with the TnT cast after every performance.
When I'm not out of my apartment, I'm watching Battlestar Galactica and writing notes for Brian about my reactions to the episode. It's like live-blogging, but with paper and pen. Whenever something pops into my head that I would've texted Brian (or said to him if he'd been in the room), I pause the DVD and write it down. It takes longer to watch an episode than it normally would, but it's kinda fun for me. Makes it feel like an active thing as opposed to just sitting around watching DVDs all day. (By the way, it's an INCREDIBLE show, and I highly recommend it. Also recommend Firefly, which is the other series Brian lent me before running off to fight the bad guys.)
I've started reading It's Called a Break-up Because It's Broken, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT if you've gone through any sort of break-up and/or heartbreak, even if you were the one who did the dumping. I wish I'd had it during my break-up with Ex #1. It's really, really helpful. Of course, the authors of the book would tell me to stop writing to Brian, but I think I've recovered enough that it's possible to do it now. The hurting I was going through before has lessened significantly. And letter-writing doesn't make me cry the way phone calls would have. It feels like it's helping me heal. I'm gaining closure, and I'm redefining our relationship as one of friendship. In some weird way, it's helping me let go. Counter-intuitive, I know... but I believe that you should "do what works", so I'm going to keep doing it as long as it's working. If it's not working, then I'll become a better student of the book and stop writing him altogether.
(Huh. Wasn't planning to talk about Brian at all, and here I've done mostly that. Ah well. This is where my extemporaneous style brings me, I suppose. Writing about things I didn't intend to write about.)
Anyway.
I'm frustrated that I still have not been assigned a character to train for in Tony n' Tina's. Remember when the director had me watch the nun at a rehearsal? Yeah, that didn't stick. He gave me a new character to watch at last week's rehearsal, bringing my total up to three. I don't think he has any clue what he wants me for. Maybe that's a compliment. I'm versatile, and he knows he can put me in a bunch of places? I don't know. I'm just worried that he's going to keep changing his mind and I'll be on waitstaff until the day I leave.
Speaking of leaving, it's coming up soon. I'm leaving my day job on August 1st. I'll probably stay in TnT for a week after that. But my lease here ends August 15th, and my grad school orientation starts on August 18th. When I originally got this offer from grad school back in February, it seemed so very, very far away. And now it's almost here, and I have so many things to try to squeeze in before I leave.
Part of me feels like a lot has happened since February. But really, I can sum it up in two subjects: Brian, and TnT. That's it. That's all that's changed. I mean, of course I'm over-simplifying (as the last few months worth of blog posts can attest to), but that's the meat of it...
Anyway.
I've made good friends at work recently. Three guys at my day-job eat lunch with me every day now. It's nice to be just one of the guys without having to worry about any of them being The Woodwork Guys. Two are engaged, and the third has a serious girlfriend whom he intends to marry. So for once, I'm the one who carries the label As Good As Gay (or, I suppose, As Good As Male). And I'm just fine with that.
We talk about things that could get us fired if mentioned at the office under the clauses of the sexual harassment policy in place, but that doesn't bother us. For someone of my level of naïveté, I'm not very shy about subjects I'm willing to broach in public settings. Maybe it's because I don't know better... In any case, it makes me fit right in when surrounded by guys with filthy minds and raunchy mouths. That, and the fact that I will jump right in when gauging the physical attractiveness with females in close proximity (the guys call this rating procedure "verifications"). And sometimes before heading back to work, we take a detour through a department store cologne section so that the boys can "musk up". And we have a large collection of private jokes that we discuss in code on our work email accounts. It makes the day go by a bit faster.
I watched the Tony Awards at a bar on Sunday night. I talked the bartender into changing the channel on one of the many televisions dedicated to sports for me. I cheered obnoxiously whenever people I liked were shown. ("You go, Deanna Dunagan! Bring it home to Chicago, baby!") I actually know someone who won a Tony this year, which is exciting. Todd Rosenthal won for set design for the play August: Osage County. He designed the set for a production of The Comedy of Errors that I was in a couple of years back, which is how I know him (not well, but still, I know him in real life). I'd call to congratulate him, but I lost his number when I lost my phone... Oh well.
This was the first time in the past 5 years that I have not donned some sort of fancy dress to watch the Tonys. If I owned a television, I would have. I intend to again in future years. It makes the whole thing more fun if you dress up.
Last night I hung out with some of my novelist friends in the 'burbs playing the video game Rock Band and generally acting like idiots. It was a good time. Of course, I didn't get back to my apartment until nearly 2:30am, and then had a couple of emails that I urgently had to answer... I was pretty useless at work today as a result.
Tomorrow will be intense. I'm going to my day-job from 8:30-11:00am. I have to be at TnT at 11:30am to get ready for a matinee. Then at night, my friend Amanda and I are going to see The Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová, a.k.a. the people from Once who won an Oscar for "Falling Slowly" this year). And after that, I promised I'd go see my coworker (one of the engaged ones) work his night gig: he's headlining as a DJ at some bar.
Thursday I'm going to the "Air One - Blogger Meet Up Chicago" (note: if you are a Chicago blogger and haven't heard about this, let me know and I'll get you the info... there will be hors d'oeuvre's, cocktails and an Italian lesson at the event... and potentially some SWAG), which I've been looking forward to for awhile.
Friday and Saturday I have TnT performances. Sunday will be my first real free day since... Well, I think since I was in Omaha. That'll be nice. It'll give me more time to watch Battlestar Galactica.
Wow. It felt really good to just type all of that. I have a feeling it was painfully boring, but I don't care. I needed to organize my thoughts. I need this.
I love being a blogger.
*sigh*
I feel better.
Alright, I'm going to go watch a little BSG, clean my apartment (yeah, right), and go to bed early (probably a lie).
May you be able to write your cares away.
~A~
P.S. The title is from the song "All the Words" by The Bridges. Their album just came out, and you should totally buy it. They rock. Hard.
P.P.S.
All the words that you said
Made you matter in my head
I was tied to the thought of you
Thinkin’ back to the day
That I found you on my way
To a place I was goin’ to
Simplify all these years
In another round of tears
I’m so lost when it comes to you
Broken in and again
Now you’re everywhere I’ve been
So it’s hard to deny the view
Did you know I had you goin’?
You got your heart back
It was stolen
And there’s nothin’
I can do at all
And it’s still there
On the road we had
And it’s alright
Keep the memories tied to your heart dear
And the words will be enough
~ The Bridges, "All the Words"
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Words Will Be Enough
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















17 comments:
I guarantee a coworker and I can make you blush with our conversations. She's a 29 year old mother of two and still manages to make me groan at times.
Aside from regular downtime I think writing is probably the best way of soothing just about any ill. Keep writing the way you do; it works fine.
I pretty much blog everyday but then again I'm a stay-at-home-mom so I have more available time. I don't consider a working person's blog to be suffering from a "gap" until it goes into multiple weeks. You have been through a bunch so you are excused to gather your thoughts. I enjoy reading you enough that I wait with a high level of patience ;)
It's good to have you back. And it's ok if you still need to cry. There's no cut off date to emotional states.
Grad school creeped up on me. And then it was over before I knew it too!
When you're caught up on Battlestar (which i'm not yet, cuz I haven't watched season 3 yet) i would suggest the HBO series Deadwood. On the surface they have nothing in common, but level of quality is top notch, and it has the same thing as battlestar of watching people build (or rebuild) their society. These are my two favorite drama shows.
glad you're back and hope things are starting to get just a little bit better for you...
sending hugs oh hugs your way :)
Glad you'll finally be getting some distance. It'll help, trust me.
I'm glad you're feeling better and things are looking up.
Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow at the event!
It's tough that Brian is gone but maybe in the long run, for now, it's for the best. We can discuss more tomorrow too.
Oh man, I am totally Mr. Henshaw-ing him too. He is going to have a lot to read while he's over there.
Welcome back! I just wanted to mention how much I loved Todd Rosenthal's set from "August: Osage County." I saw the show last fall, and as soon as I walked into the theater and got a look at it, I was blown away. I'd never had such an immediate, visceral reaction to a set. It was aweseome - massive and shabby and cluttered, what a great house and what a perfect metaphor for the characters' lives.
Crying is cathartic -- ridding your body of the unwanted. There's nothing wrong with that. Keep doing it until you don't need to. No one should judge you for that.
I heard about that Blogger meet-up. Got other things going on. But, have fun at Giocco. Their food is most excellent.
We wouldn't have stuck around if you were boring, now would we? ;)
Glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of things. But just imagine how this will look and feel when you come back to it later - like in grad school.
Woah. Profound.
In addition to writing about your relationship to Brian you should READ about your relationship with Brian. You both sound like good people but READ about this relationship, consider the events and the time line. Keep writing you tell it so real.
Hi. I just found your blog. Wanted to let you know I am going through the same break up thing. I am actually going to check out that book because I am having a really hard time letting it go. He lives close and we still are in contact, which makes it so much harder. Hang in there.
It will get easier, right?
At least you've been staying busy. I think that's the best way to keep your mind off of something.
A couple months back I took a week long break from blogging and it helped so much. I wasn't really going through anything major at the time, but I felt like I was forcing everything. It's make blogging so much more enjoyable for me.
To Eric Shonkwiler - I find it hard to believe that your conversations could be any dirtier than the ones I'm currently hearing at work. I will keep writing the way I do. Thanks.
To Rachel - I've never been an everyday blogger (except for NaBloPoMo last November) because I'm too long-winded. If I wrote every day, I don't think I'd maintain my readership. People would be hard-pressed to keep up.
To Cheryl - Thanks for not imposing a cut-off date. :)
To Ken Knafou - Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check that out when I'm done with BSG and this anime series some friends lent me.
To Katelin - Thanks for the hugs. I can always use them. :)
To Gooseberried - I think so, too.
To Bayjb - I'm glad, too. And it is better in the long run.
To GirlBoyMusic - I'm thrilled that I'm not the only one writing him! He's going to need all the penpals he can get!
To Esther - I loved Todd's set, too. It was like I was looking at a dollhouse, watching multiple scenes play out at once. Very, very neat.
To Nilsa S. - I know, but I've never been much of a crier. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd rather not.
To Nico - Thanks, buddy. I'm glad I'm coming back... Slowly but surely.
To oneistrue - Thanks, I'll try that. Glad you like reading.
To P.O.M. - I'm sorry you've had problems like this as well recently. Definitely check out the book. It's helping me. Good luck with everything.
To Maxie - I think you're right. I'm staying as busy as can be. :)
I'm pretty much four months out of a relationship and have been feeling okay of late but in the last day or two I realised I'm still not over my ex entirely. It's all ups and downs I guess but ultimately we will come out the stronger ones. Despite the fact it always takes me a long time to get over things, i do try to look at it as I'm a stronger person than I think I am, and it will only help me learn and grow - I hope. Hopefully there is someone better out there! And I found blogging was a good way of helping myself through it.
To Paula - Yeah, I think blogging is going to help me, too. Good luck with your journey.
Post a Comment