
If I had any mixed feelings about leaving, they're gone now.
I gave my notice at Tony n' Tina's Wedding last week. I knew that this would condemn me to Black Staff for the rest of my days (despite claims from some in the cast that "don't worry, they'll let you go up [as Sister Terry] before you leave"... Oh, please. Why would they bother putting in the time to finish training me now?).
What I didn't anticipate was being punished in another way: not being put on the schedule.
I've worked every single performance for the last two months (I've been in the show for three). I've worked hard. I've been completely exhausted as a result. And I expected that to continue.
Imagine my surprise when, out of four shows this week, I was only scheduled to be in one of them.
And on top of that, the director made it painfully obvious that he was going to great lengths to avoid putting me on Black Staff. Like on two nights, scheduling only one Black Staff to do it single-handedly (which is damn well near impossible). Or bumping the current Tina down to Black Staff and calling in an old Tina to take her place. He even scheduled someone for one performance who had already gotten approved to take the night off. THAT'S how far he went to not put me on.
I was upset. Understandably, I think.
This show is about to be short-staffed for a month, due to four of us leaving on the 9th. Shouldn't they use me while they've got me? But no, the director has decided to punish me for leaving. It just seems like an immature decision to me.
You know, as much as it sucks that I've been stuck in Black Staff for three months (which, if you recall, is like being on stage crew -- or being a waiter, but for way less money -- and having to be in character on top of that), I like it. Yes, I wish I were a character. Of course I do. But I've made the most out of Black Staff. I give my all every single night. I've created complex, interesting, energetic characters. I'm great at getting the audience involved (even the people who came into the show with the idea that they were going to hate it).
I love performing. I love being part of a show again. And I won't be able to do it again for a long time (in my grad school program, you're not on stage for your first year).
Additionally, the cast of TnT has become my friend group. We go out to the bar every show night. We have a lot of fun, both during the performances and after them. And not being in the show means missing out on that.
Things ended up working out alright. Someone called in sick on Wednesday, so they called me in. Someone needed off on Friday, so they called me in. And there's too big of a house for one Black Staff to handle tonight, so they've called me in. My one-show week has turned into a four-show-week. And while most people in this show would love to have some time off, I'm thrilled to be working.
And to make things more interesting for myself, I created yet another Black Staff character last night. Her name is Farina. She flirts with every male in the room (young or old, cast or audience). She thinks getting married in your twenties is a bad idea, because you should play the field while you've got time.
It's always fun to create a new character, but I'll probably stick to Hot Cocoa and Carmella for the rest of my shows, as I love them both and probably won't have many more opportunities to play either of them. I've been told by the ASM to expect to only be on the schedule one time next week, and one time the week after (although if I'm lucky, I might be able to squeeze in a couple more shows the same way I did this week)
On top of dealing with this at my night job, there are problems with my other job. My day job. My "real" job.
I had some vacation days left that I wanted to use before leaving. My last day there is going to be next Friday (August 1st). So I took a half day yesterday, I'm taking a half day on Thursday, and I decided to take Wednesday off. A good way to sort of break up my last week, I thought.
Two of my coworkers have birthdays this week (one on Sunday, one on Monday). One of my other coworkers found out last week that she got a job in a different department, and her last day will be the week after mine. And another coworker is approaching his 5-year anniversary at the company.
So my boss had the brilliant idea to combine the two birthdays, two going-away parties, and anniversary party.
And she put it on Wednesday, July 30th.
Yeah, that's right. The day I'm going to be gone.
KNOWING FULL WELL that I was going to be gone.
They're throwing me a going-away party, and I'm not even going to be there to attend it.
And on top of that, they've asked me to donate money to help buy food for it.
I wanted to scream. I pointed out that I wasn't going to be there, and the response I got was, "Oh, that's too bad."
They probably just didn't think about it.
It reminds me of the end of last year when my whole department was taken out to lunch by our VP because we'd exceeded our goals for the year. Everything was served family style, so the people planning things ordered the food a week in advance. Before placing the order, they asked, "Hey, Angela, you're still a vegetarian, right?" I assured them that I was, and they said they'd make sure to get several things that I could eat. When we got there for the meal, I saw that they ordered two salads and about six main dishes. One of the salads had anchovies, the other had bacon. And they only ordered ONE meatless dish (fettucine alfredo), which other people polished off before the bowl made it down to me. Then they said, "Well, that's why we ordered two things with chicken and one with fish. We figured you could eat those." (Apparently, none of them knows the definition of the word "vegetarian"?) They ended up ordering another bowl of fettucine so that I could eat SOMETHING.
That sucked. But this whole party-for-me-without-me thing? Infinitely worse.
As one of my coworkers pointed out, "when you have a going-away party for someone who is there, you're saying 'we're going to miss you.' When the person isn't there, you're saying, 'hooray, she's leaving!' "
I've been working there for a year and a half, and I have been a DAMN fine employee (okay, not so much lately... but last year my performance review was outstanding and said I "often exceeded expectations", which is high praise in my department). And now I'm leaving. I'm not just going to another floor, like the other girl who's leaving. I'm moving out of the state. To a state that's very far away. And these people that I've seen five days a week for the last year and a half? I might never see them again. And they're throwing my goodbye party when I WON'T BE THERE.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I cried. A lot.
But, you know what? It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.
There's more to this story... Like how my boss BEGGED me to ask for Friday off from TnT so that the department could go out for drinks on my last day, and then (after I had asked for it off, something that probably hurt me in TnT) decided that we shouldn't go because three people in the department were going to be out that day. Or how my boss TOLD ME that we would have a party on my last day, and then changed her mind. Or how, when I took Wednesday off, my boss said, "Oh, but then you'll miss the double-birthday-party," and then she went on to combine it with my going-away party after that conversation... There are several more things that I'm bitter about, but you get the idea.
And yes, I COULD switch my day off and just reschedule the things I planned to do that day. But now it's a matter of principle. Why should I rearrange my plans to go to a party that clearly no one cares if I attend?
I'm upset. I'm frustrated. And I want out.
I have worked SO HARD at BOTH of my jobs, and NEITHER appreciates me. Instead, they wave goodbye to me with the backs of their hands.
I'm ready to leave now.
May others appreciate the work that you do.
~A~
P.S. I have been told three times in the last week that I remind people of Marisa Tomei circa "My Cousin Vinnie" when I play Hot Cocoa in TnT.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Backhanded Goodbyes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















22 comments:
awww... I'm sorry, dear. I'm a performing artist too -- not an actor, but I understand what it's like to be under appreciated for immense amounts of work.
I love that picture--the eye makeup really makes it that much better.
I think everyone in the world has a case of idiot right now. That would explain all the eff-you moments you've had lately (and it would explain the state of Massachusetts).
As for your director, my opinion of him hasn't changed since he "forgot" about you. If I were about to be short-staffed, I would definitely schedule all the people who were leaving as much as possible so the other folks who'd be working a lot later would get a break. It just makes sense. That said, when I quit Beaners when I was about to finish at MSU, I didn't get scheduled for my last "available" week at all. I was so ready to move on, but I was still pissed--I wanted the money.
On the bright side, you must be so, so ready for school to start.
It sounds like you're having the week that I had two weeks ago. Not much I can say to console, other than it sounds like you will be sorely missed when you're gone. They just might not realize it until then.
That photo is gorgeous! :::Swoon:::
I'd love to see you playing Farina (and Diana, in AoGG, for that matter. :-)
That just blows...quite simply blows. I can't begin to understand who wouldn't--couldn't help but--appreciate you.
I send you hugs....and a bottle of wine
That sucks. That seriously is the sign of bad management and you should be feel glad to be getting out of there. Management like that only results in a sinking ship when they "punish" the talent. And I assume the retention rate isn't the best.
Ugh! That would definitely be frustrating and I can see why you would be upset. I can't believe the lengths some people will go to in order to showcase their stupidity. Or ignorance. I'm sorry it's been such a lousy time for you, my fingers are crossed that the situation improves!!
Yuck, a double whammy on work suckiness. I'm sorry hon. We in the blogosphere appreciate you. So much, that I'm ready to get my karaoke on, and that doesn't happen often.
Oh Angela I'm so sorry. TNT giving you the screw on the schedule and going away part is awful and totally unacceptable. Fortunately the end is near and you can move on from there, even if it wasn't the experience you wanted it to be. But we're going out for your other goodbye party and it's all about you!!! *hugs*
The people at your jobs may not miss you, but you know the rest of us sure will.
I feel like I should say more, but that's all I've got for now. Yeah...
I'm so sorry :( I feel like hard work is so rarely valued, which is so obnoxious because there are so few people who really put forth an effort, so they should be rewarded.
I guess the only silver lining is that you ARE leaving. Maybe then they'll appreciate you, while you are off becoming an even better actress and being your awesome self far away from them.
I am so sorry. It is so hard to know that something you have put so much hard work and dedication into would treat you so flippantly. I experienced the same thing when I left my last job. But you can leave with your head high knowing that you have done a great job in the meantime!
Don't even get me started on bosses. I have a few now that can't seem to separate their jobs from their personal feelings. I don't even know how companies get anything accomplished.
Well, if it's any consolation, that picture is smokin hot.
They're throwing you a good-bye party and you won't be there...AMAZING.
Really, people are amazing. And you are moving on to WAY better things. Amen.
thats a very gorgeous picture, angela :)
There is a word that sums up both of your jobby situations: Bullshit.
Plain and simple.
oh man that stinks, i'm so sorry. it's ridiculous that the director would act so immature and not appreciate all the time and effort you've put into the show. maybe he'll wise up before you're done, hopefully.
Wow. I can't even get over how dirty it is to remove you from the schedule like that. I hate when people get so personally wrapped up, and forget that it is a job, meaning that staff are allowed to give two weeks notice, just like the rest of the world.
Sounds like you are too good for all of 'em ;)
Unfortunately, the day job situation sounds eerily familiar to one that occurs every day in corporate America.
My going away party from my first situation involved a cake that said happy birthday on one side for one person, and happy trails on the other for me. It was combined with a meeting where the team had to watch a mandatory "morale boosting" film from the CEO. Then, there's cake!
Clearly you are beloved. Hell, I'm reply # 20. :)
The director on the other hand, has no place directing anything. N. E. Thin. G.
I feel ya! It sounds like you have a horrible boss! On the bright side of things it provides you with the best motivation to move and further your education! The same thing is what finally convinced me to go to grad school.
To Tea - Thanks for commiserating.
To Heidi Renée - Thanks! I actually had my makeup done professionally the day I blogged this. Sorry that you've been having your own mountain of eff-you moments. Yes, the way TnT is run is problematic. Sorry that you went through something similar with Beaners. I am indeed ready for school to start.
To SmartLikeStreetcar - I'm sorry that you've been going through similar troubles. Thanks! Glad you like the photo!
To Rachel - Thanks for the hugs. :) I'll save the wine for the next time I see you. ;)
To Dan Mega - You're right, but it's still bittersweet to be leaving. The retention rate at TnT is not great. A lot of people stay for about a year. They have one guy who just passed the 5-year mark and a woman who's at about 9 years now.
To Brandy - Thanks for the well wishes!
To Cheryl - I am SO looking forward to you getting your karaoke on!
To bayjb - Thank you. I'm so excited for that karaoke party, you have no idea.
To TheInfernumFlame - Thanks, Mike. :)
To Amanda - Thanks, Amanda. You help to put things in perspective. :)
To Tipp - Thanks, Tipp!
To Ken Knafou - Agreed.
To Suggs - Thanks. :)
To Roisin - Genius, aren't they? Yes, I am moving up in the world. Hooray!
To Cassiopeia - Thanks!
To Joy - Nicely put.
To Katelin - Doubtful, but pray for me anyway. :)
To Princess Pointful - They made me give THREE weeks notice, actually. *rolls eyes*
To CK1 - Yikes, that split cake/morale video sounds HORRENDOUS! As for the director, well, it's a corporate gig. We're not people; we're part of a product.
To MegKathleen - You're right. It's an excellent motivator.
Post a Comment