Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Technological Separation Anxiety


I would like to tell you about a friend of mine...

My lovely, wonderful, darling computer, Lady MacBook.

She got her name because of my love of Shakespeare (I pronounce Lady MacBook with the same stress in which one would say "Lady Macbeth").

We first met on October 2nd, 2006 (yes, I remember the date... shut up). She was so shiny, so empty, so vivacious.

Small and white. Clean and bright. Just like edelweiss. And yes, she did look happy to meet me.

And now? Well, now I'm completely dependent upon her. I don't think we've been separated for even a day since we've been together. It's definitely the most reliable relationship I have in my life. Lady MacBook is, in many ways, my best friend.

I have a different relationship with my computer than most people do, if only because I use her so much more. I haven't had a television in nearly a year. Lady MacBook has been my television. Thanks to her, I watched the entire first four seasons of Lost in a matter of weeks on abc.com (free, streaming, and in HD). I watched all of Arrested Development on DVDs. I got Netflix, which helped me get through my seasonal depression.

She's my source of music as well. I often play my iTunes loudly as I dance around, swearing that I'm about to start cleaning my apartment. I belt out showtunes and pray that my neighbors don't call the cops. Thanks to her handy video camera, I've even made music videos for people on facebook.

And she knows my face well. Not just from videos, but from the pictures that I'm constantly taking of myself (don't act like you hadn't noticed).

I started blogging last September, and she's been here for me through all of that. She's been here through my obsessions with various social networking sites, even as they fade from memory (StumbleUpon? Cre8Buzz?).

And perhaps the period of time that I grew most attached to her was November, when I decided to do NaNoWriMo (and, simultaneously, NaBloPoMo). Yes, I decided to write a novel in 30 days (or at least the first 50,000 words of one). I brought Lady M everywhere. She came to work with me every day. We went on dates to various coffee shops in the city. I discovered that I could type rather well while my face was buried in a pillow. And she stuck by me, auto-saving regularly. She watched me punch in 56,021 words in 30 days.

I'm still not done with that novel, but I wouldn't have made it as far as I have if it weren't for her constant support.

But now she's ill, and I have to take her to the doctor for a check-up.

And by ill, I mean she needs a new logic board. And by doctor, I mean the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. And by check-up, I mean they want to keep her for five days.

I don't know what I'm going to do. She's my baby! She's my primary source of entertainment and communication! Heck, she's practically an appendage!

Can I survive without my laptop for five whole days? I'm seriously not sure anymore.

*sigh* I'm going to try to drop her off in the morning, but I'm not even sure that I can do it. I don't know if I'll be strong enough.

I decided that this was the best time to do it. I'll be so busy with my family in town and Frankie week rehearsals and performances that I won't even notice that she's gone. Right?

Seriously, my hands are about to start shaking, and she's not even gone yet. She's my heroin (and also the heroine of this story, I suppose). I'm a junkie.

And I can't just watch tv. I can't play video games. I can't watch a video. I can't go online from a BlackBerry or an iPhone. She's all I have. *sniff*

So forgive my upcoming online absence... Trust me, it's going to hurt me a lot more than it's going to hurt you.

I guess now's a good time to catch up on my reading...


May you find ways to pass the time.

~A~


ETA: P.S. Lady M is no longer "clean and bright". She looks... well, let's just say "well-loved."

28 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

That sucks. But hey, better to have it fixed now than to get to school and have it crap out when you can't afford to lose it.

Anonymous said...

That really sucks- I'd be lost without my laptop too. It's no Mac, but it works for me.
Good luck on your week without her!

brooke said...

Sad... I get all twitchy when my parents go out of town and take the laptop, and I have to use the clunky old computer. And the laptop's not even mine. I can't imagine if it were my very own.

Hope you get through it okay... read a lot of books, maybe?

Anonymous said...

i think i began biting my nails while reading this, because i can definitely identify with this.

may she come back stronger than ever!

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

I hope the detox goes well. Good luck, we will all be here when she gets back.

Daniel Boughton said...

You make me smile sometimes, angelaboration.

Anonymous said...

i think we all know what you're feeling. we're with you in these hard times. and our best thoughts are with the lady!

Anonymous said...

I died a little inside after reading this.

It will be okay though. She'll come back stronger than ever. In the mean time, may I reintroduce you to pen and paper?

Bayjb said...

Lady Macbook will be okay and she'll miss you just as much as you will. Thankfully it's an easy fix and with Frankie-week you'll be busy anyhow. No tears, just hugs.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I feel for you! It won't be easy, but I know you'll make it through :)

Watch, in 5 days you'll come back completely changed, telling all of us all the amazing away from the computer activities we could be doing....

Pretty Unfamous said...

There's always the public library! You can go online from there! I've been forced to do it a time or two. Not fun, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Good luck, Lady MacBook!

Katelin said...

my computer in college was electrocuted, i barely survived. had to use the roommates computer for a month, never. again.

Anonymous said...

That happened to me about a month ago. It was amazing - I learned that I didn't need to be chained to my laptop at all times. I got it back and promptly became chained to it again...but for that measly week I got a lot done!

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I felt when I moved. I didn't have my computer for a month but I somehow still survived!

Stephanie said...

I don't know if i could make it that long without my computer. :(
Good luck!

theedeeter said...

I am VERY familiar with this separation anxiety issue regarding laptops, and I wish it on no one. But I have faith that you will pull through--I mean, if you can survive Voice and Movement, you can do anything :).

Princess Pointful said...

But, just think, she'll be shiny and new!
And absence will make the heart grow fonder!
And you can write posts on paper... or something...

Julia said...

being without a computer stinks... but speaking of macbooks... I just found this site & I thought you might find it cool: macstyles.com

Kayleigh said...

I've been saying some prayers to the Mac Gods asking for Lady MacBook's full and complete recovery. I hope you are surviving without her (I know...so hard!) and that last night was WAY fab with Mr. Avalon! Good luck this weekend securing Black Staff, and have fun with your family!!!

Mega said...

Sucks! =(

Aileen said...

So sorry, my friend!

I can't wait till your party, by the way, but I'll be late! I have a date with Susan and Jeffrey first :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, I know what you mean. I have a little white MacBook that I call Betsy, and she's basically my lifeline between the blogging and reporting, and general internet needs hehe.

I hope Lady MacBook feels better :)

Downbeat said...

There's always the library if you get really stir crazy.

And maybe this will be a good thing. Hopefully you're finding time to do something you need to that you never would've otherwise because you would've been hanging out with Lady MacBook. At least that's what happened to me when my lappy was hanging out with the Geniuses.

Rachel said...

I would die without my laptop.

That's just so sad sounding.....

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I for SURE, cannot give it up :(

ShadowJim said...

Hopefully they can get it done extra fast for you. I'm hoping so for you, anyway.

You'll still have your phone to talk/text people, at least. You must think of the bright side.

P said...

When I lost my laptop temporarily to a trojan virus earlier this year, I felt like I'd had a lung removed or something! I feel your pain... Get well soon, Lady MacBook!!!

Angela said...

To Heidi Renée - Very true. And she came back beautiful. :)

To Sandy - It was so stressful!

To Seven - I did a lot of reading. It helped. :)

To Nico - I bit my nails all week, too!

To The Dutchess of Kickball - Thanks!

To Daniel Boughton - Thank you. :)

To The Almost Right Word - Thanks!

To Jenn - Oh, no! Don't die!

To Bayjb - I was busy enough that I didn't go insane without her, thank goodness.

To Amanda - Haha. Not exactly. I'm just as addicted as I was before.

To Angela - Sadly, I don't live anywhere near a library. Oh well.

To Katelin - Yikes! That's horrible!

To MegKathleen - Haha. I understand completely.

To Gooseberried - A MONTH??? I would surely die.

To Stephanie - Thanks!

To Theedeeter - Haha. I survived V&M TWICE!

To Princess Pointful - I was already fond!

To Julia - Oooh! Cool site! Thanks!

To Kayleigh - Thank you so much! And working with Mr. Avalon was exhausting, but fun.

To Dan Mega - Indeed! :(

To Roisin - Bring Susan and Jeffrey with you, please!!!

To Michelle - She's much better now.

To Downbeat - I just went back to reading for awhile. It helped a bit.

To Rachel - It was rough!

To Karlynn - I survived. :)

To Fabulously Broke - I know the feeling.

To ShadowJim - Thanks for being positive. :)

To Paula - I know!