
One of my coworkers realized that yesterday would be our last day working together (as I took today off, and she's out Thursday and Friday). When I came back to my desk after a break, there was a bouquet on my chair with a card. In the card, she referred to me as "Sunshine" (my nickname around the office), wished me luck, and told me that she'd miss me. When I went to thank her, she told me not to hug her or she'd cry. I saw the tears in her eyes and I knew she that she meant it.
I've been close with several of my coworkers, but not as much with her. We have a friendly, joking relationship. I've never been around her outside of the workday. I was astonished to learn that the comments I've gotten from her like "I'll miss you", "don't go", and "I'm happy for you" were genuine. They're the same things I've heard from everyone, but they just seemed like the sorts of generic comments that you're expected to throw out when someone's leaving.
She said she knows I'm going to be famous one day (she said she can picture me on Grey's Anatomy), even though she's only seen me act once. She said she would like to be my agent, manager, and publicist. She told me how happy she is for me that I'm getting out of my day job and pursuing my dream. She said she was proud of me, and hopes that I won't forget her when I make it big. She also said that she doesn't think the office will be the same without me there to liven things up.
I got a little teary-eyed along with her.
I also came close to getting emotional when saying goodbye to my favorite cashier on the café floor. She watched me type at lunch during NaNoWriMo, and we often discuss the Oldies songs playing on the speakers. She's one of a handful of people in the world who I have allowed to refer to me as "Ange" (Note: some Angela's spell this "Ang", but then it looks like it rhymes with tang. In reality, it sounds more like the ending of "orange"... but it doesn't actually rhyme, as nothing rhymes with orange). She bought me my lunch as a going-away present and told me how much she's going to miss seeing me. It wasn't much, but it meant a lot to me.
It's incredible to see how much you affect other people's lives without realizing it.
I wasn't upset at missing the party today. It occurred to me that it doesn't matter. I don't need a party. The people who want to wish me well will find their own ways to do it.
I've refrained from discussing my work place on this blog for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is trying to retain my relative anonymity; I don't want my place of work to know I blog, and I don't want blog stalkers to surprise me at work. But I suppose that both are less of a worry now that I only have a couple of days left.
I work in a massive skyscraper that's located in the middle of downtown Chicago (I work about a block away from the famed Magnificent Mile). I'm on the 12th floor, and I have my own window. Observe my view:
When I started my job, I loved it. It's strange to think back to that. Operations within my department have changed a bit since I first started, which has something to do with my disillusionment. But mostly I think the change was in me. It took me some time to understand that I don't want to settle for an office job. I need to work in theatre. When I first got there, I was happy just to have a steady paycheck. I now know that I need more than that. I've taken the corporate road, and I found myself at a dead end. I'm ready to begin the long, lonely hitchhike of the starving artist. It won't be easy, but I think I'll be happier in the long run.
It actually turned out to be a bit of providence that I had taken today off of work, as I woke up completely sick. Yes, I'm sick again, thanks to the worst immune system on the planet (have I mentioned that I've gotten the chicken pox TWICE?). It was a blessing not to have to force myself to go to work. Of course, it meant I was unable to do all the things I'd intended to do today... But I did sort out the health insurance issues I was having with my university. And I did three loads of laundry (although I still have about four left to do... mostly bedding, towels, and winter clothes). So that's something.
Here's hoping that my final days of work go smoothly.
May you know how appreciated you are.
~A~
P.S. Thank you to Rachel, Nico, and Rachel for nominating me for Featured Blogger on 20 Something Bloggers! Today was the first time I've ever been nominated, and I was grinning from ear-to-ear as a result. It seriously is an honor just to be nominated!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Working It Out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















17 comments:
This was kind of like a two-part post with an intro and a sequel! Even the wishes at the end go together perfectly. It's always good to be reminded how much you affect other people's lives, so don't ever underestimate yourself.
Also you do seem to get sick a lot. Perhaps invest in some multi-vitamins?
Lastly why wouldn't I nominate you? Your blog has been like a crack addiction over here. Silly ninja.
hey there! i've been lurking your posts, but not commenting... sorry.
You seem to have a large personality so it only seems natural that people get to like you...
I mean you get total strangers to read your pretty personal blog, so I can't imagine what the real world Angela is like. haha...
anyway, moving on is one of the best things i've done in my life! it is really good for the soul sometimes.
Saying goodbye is really difficult. I can't tell you how many people I made cry when I left a job many years ago. It's bittersweet to know you meant so much to people ... though a little late.
Awwwwwwwww...you are loved!
That is a kick-ass photo at the top, how did you manage that effect? Was it in-camera or edited afterward?
It's never easy to leave, just remember you are doing what is best for you!
I am not a fan of this moving business. Not a fan!
awww that is so sweet of your coworker. it's always refreshing to know that you've left an impact on someone somewhere and clearly you've done that for your coworker. woo!
and yay for being nominated. i seconded nico's nomination :)
The nomination is certainly well deserved....
When I left Atlanta for Paradise, I was really hurt by the office reaction to my departure. All they cared about was maybe getting a free lunch out of the deal. On the other hand, I was shocked and touched by the well wishes and actions of a few people I didn't expect. I've come to realize that those individual gestures have infinitely more meaning than group gestures.
I hope you feel better soon! I think you were over-extending yourself, pushing to the finish line. Now you'll relax and heal quickly, I hope.
How did I never know you worked so close to me? Think of all the lunches that could have been had!
glad I could make you smile :)
It is funny how circumstances often highlight how amazing people are who you may have written off as just an acquaintance.
TMI alert-- A few years ago, when I split up with my very long term boyfriend, I spent about a month couchhopping while I gave him time to move out of our apartment. And it was crazy the people I never would have predicted who offered me a place to stay and furniture!
Holy shit that view is amazing! Jealous. that is just really sweet of your co-worker to get you flowers and a card. Really, that is so nice of her to do that. Seems hard to believe that your time here is coming to a close :(
To Nico - I'm glad that someone made the connection between the wishes. :) I used to take vitamins, but they didn't help. Maybe I'll get new ones when I get to Florida. And thank you again for nominating me. I heart you.
To dkdisch - I don't mind having lurkers. Nice to know you're still around. :) Real world Angela is just as fascinating as cyber Angela, I assure you. Thanks for making me feel good about moving on.
To Nilsa S. - Indeed it's nice to know that people like me... even if it is right before I leave them.
To Roisin - :) Indeed.
To tankboy - Thank you kindly! I took it with my MacBook and put it into iPhoto (because I don't have any other editing software). I clicked "Antique" to dull the colors and "Edge Blur" to make the motion more obvious.
To Tipp - I know. :)
To Jenn - It sucks, I know. :( But remember, I'm going on to big things.
To Katelin - It was awfully nice. Thank you for nominating me!
To verybadcat - Thank you kindly for the nomination! I agree that individual gestures mean more than group ones. I hope I get well soon, too!
To Joy @ Big Time Fancy - Dude! If only we had known!
To Rachel - :)
To Princess Pointful - That's a lovely story. :)
To bayjb - I know, I'm very lucky to have that view. It is weird that I'm almost gone. Have finished processing that yet.
I'm telling you right now....the long lonely road of an artist is REALLY difficult! But you won't even experience it till you are about a year out of your MFA program.
i'm going to have to disagree with Matthew above me...
Being in artist isn't lonely, if it is, you are doing something wrong!
I'm a photographer and we work in isolation (as opposed to groups, like acting), but I still have tons and tons of other photographers that I hang out with and shoot with and learn from and teach and basically surround myself with other creative people who push me when I need it!
I'm really pretty happy with being an artist and feel that with some bizness sense and a little maturity, being an artist can be a very rewarding career financially. I have friends that prove it to me everyday!
To Matthew - Doing something you don't love sucks a lot. I know doing theatre will be hard, but at least I won't feel like I'm throwing my life away.
To dkdisch - Thanks for the encouragement, buddy. :) I needed that.
Post a Comment