Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chicago Blogger Meet-Up


I've been breaking my own rule and posting more than semi-weekly lately. Please forgive me.

I made some new friends last night. Lovely ones. I attended a meet-up of Chicago-based bloggers from 20-Something Bloggers.

They're neat people. You should check out their blogs.

- Big Time Fancy
- D-Blogged
- PB & Razz
- Places Never Planned
- SoMi
- To Kiss the Cook
- You are flawed if you are not free

It was a bit weird meeting people who already knew things about me (a few of them were familiar with my blog). And I've been attempting to read their blogs so that I'd be ready to meet them, although I just started and thus knew very little. It was interesting to attach faces, personalities, and psycho-physical rhythms to people who had previously only existed in my head by what was evoked through written word. A fascinating little social experience.

I uncomfortably shifted between acute social anxiety and story-mode all night. Sometimes I could talk, share, and laugh. I told stories. I discussed the positives and negatives of various blog platforms. I explained why I try to limit my posting to a couple of times a week (because I could write this much on a daily basis, but no one would read it). It was fun. And I felt like a part of the team.

Other times I had to tune everything out, close my eyes, stare into my lap, and learn how to breath again. I had the misfortune of sitting in the middle of the table... That awkward place where there's a conversation to your left, another to your right, and you're not sure how to be a part of either as you're listening to both. It's like there's too much input to properly sort out anything.

It's hard to explain social anxiety to people who have never experienced it. The best I can put it is that it's like claustrophobia. Like I'm going to drown in a sea of sights and sounds. Like I'm being suffocated by the breaths of others. Like the crowd is strangling me, wrapping around my body like a snake. I choke, my soul turns blue, and I worry I'm going to faint.

Luckily, no such thing happened. Once I had a couple of cherry cokes in my system, I started dancing. And that helped. I think they may have thought I was a lunatic (not that such a label is new to me), but I had to dance so that I could breath.

Sometimes I feel so alone in this city. It's nice to know that I can connect with people I don't know. It's good to know that we all have ways to relate to each other. That there are people out there who understand. At least a little.


Big Time Fancy, Free and Flawed (from "You are flawed if you are not free"), and D (from "D-Blogged").

PB & Razz, Nilsa (from "SoMi"), and To Kiss the Cook.

D and Places Not Planned.

Big Time Fancy, me, and Free and Flawed.

PB & Razz and To Kiss the Cook.

After the meet-up, I had a long conversation with Brian.

I don't want to talk about it. Yet.

Let's just say that it involved a lot of crying (me, not him), and I was up until close to 5:00am.

I don't cry very often. I don't know why Brian has a tendency to bring that out of me. Maybe he's the only person I care enough about to cry over.

Or maybe it's just February. And I'm dealing with S.A.D. or something like it. And maybe I just need to cry.


May you find lovely people and learn to connect.

~A~


P.S. The offers period for grad schools begins tomorrow. Please pray for me.

ETA: The bloggers I met with have also written about our meet-up.
- The Big Time Fancy version
- The D-Blogged version (and his pictures)
- The PB & Razz version
- The Places Never Planned version
- The SoMi version
- The To Kiss the Cook version
- The You are flawed if you are not free version: Part One; Part Two

11 comments:

R.E.H. said...

That sounds like a really fun gathering. There have been many times that I've thought it would be great to meet all you readers and writers out there that I feel "connected" to in a virtual sense.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Nilsa S. said...

It was great meeting you, too! From reading everyone's blogs today, it sounds like each of us had our own set of anxieties related to meeting up. Maybe next time won't be so scary.

Sorry to hear the night didn't end as well. Could the cherry cokes have had anything to do with staying up all night? :-) Be good to you and I'm hoping for good news this week re. grad school!

erin said...

It was great to meet you last night (and great to find a little community in this whole blog thing).

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Cheryl said...

Fingers totally crossed. I've been there myself. Thanks for posting the pics too...

Anonymous said...

It was great having the chance to meet you. I love your blog and the way you write. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to talk more but I look forward to another meet-up! And of course, my fingers are crossed for you :)

Tankboy said...

I really wanted to attend ... but maybe next time!

Anonymous said...

1) If you were anxious at all on Saturday, I certainly didn't pick up on it.
2) It was aaaaaawesome to meet you.
3) Holy crap, we are basically neighbors.
4) Wanna make bad decisions (negotiable) at Nick's Uptown sometime? It's dancey. And there is some entertaining scenery. :)

Angela said...

To Everyone - Thanks for the crossed fingers!

To R.E.H. - It was a blast. If you were in the USA, you could totally come. :-)

To Nilsa S. - It is funny how much anxiety we all had. It ended up being pretty low-key. The cherry cokes probably didn't help, but I was up all night crying... So not really related.

To Erin - It's lovely having a community, indeed.

To Cheryl - You're welcome for the pics. :)

To Jenn - That's sweet of you. And yes, we'll have to meet up again (hopefully at a time when you don't have to worry about Iceland or sandwiches).

To Tankboy - The more, the merrier!

To Joy - I responded on your blog. But yes, I'm game for the bad decisions. ;)

carrie lea said...

I'm so bummed I missed it! Can we do another one soon?

DShan said...

haha...it was great to meet you, and you handled your anxiety like a pro. i hope we handled it well too...i knew the dancing was just to loosen up and plus, it was entertaining!

we'll do it again sometime.

Angela said...

To Carrie Lea - Don't worry, we'll do it again. :)

To D - Glad you enjoyed the dancing.