Friday, May 16, 2008

Mascara Napkins

You know what's a weird feeling? Crying in public.

Sitting on the stairs of the grey urban jungle outside my office building. Hearing the drilling and horrid mechanical noises emanating from the construction site fifteen feet away. Surrounded by other workers taking their lunch breaks in solitude on the concrete campground. Hoping that none of them can see the tears in my eyes behind my violet-lensed sunglasses. And knowing that they can see them on my cheeks and chin. And wanting to stop, but feeling helpless and unable to.

It's almost as strange a feeling as trying not to cry as I type this, sitting at my desk.

You're the only one who can make me cry. And I know you don't even understand why I'm crying. Not this time.

I bought myself a lunch. I took my laptop outside. I had every intention of having a lovely lunch hour. I've been trying to convince myself that I'm fine. And that I'm overreacting. Because I probably am. But I'm not going to apologize for feeling hurt. That's how I feel.

And I then I called. And then I hung up. And then I cried.

And then I got in an elevator, and a guy I know asked me what was wrong, which is always the last thing I want to hear when I'm trying to calm myself down, because it throws a stick in the floodgates as I'm trying to pull them shut.

The funny thing is, this isn't the first time that someone in my life has done this to me. This is just the first time I've wanted to cry about it.

But I'm not mad at you. I'm upset. And I'm hurt. And I don't understand. And I'm so frustrated by the fact that you don't seem to understand why I'm upset. But I'm not mad.

And I have this bizarre mixture of emotions. Because I care about you too much to ever really be mad at you. And I just want to see you, and hug you, and be around you. But I also want to understand.

Or scream. One or the other.

Damn it. I'm crying again, and I honestly didn't realize it until a tear dripped into my mouth just now. Crying at work. Classy, Angela. And I just blew my nose into a napkin. Yup. Really classy.

I'm wearing my sunglasses at my desk now. I am nothing if not unconventional.

I spent most of yesterday trying to talk myself out of being upset. I bought my favorite pasta for myself at a restaurant that I love and took it home. I watched reruns of LOST that I've already seen. I tried to go to bed early, but I couldn't sleep.

I got up before 5:00am this morning. Yes. That's how torn I am. My insomnia is back in full force. I watched last night's "The Office" and "Lost". I curled my hair, and I did my make-up. I tried to make myself pretty. Even though I'm not going to see you tonight.

It doesn't matter now. My mascara is everywhere. Mostly on the napkins from my uneaten lunch. I'm not going to eat it. I'm not hungry anymore.

My coworker just asked if I'm okay. I told her I was just having a bad day.

Do you see? Do you understand why I'm battling about whether I want to see you? Because I don't know how many chances I'm going to have to be around you, and I don't want to miss them. But I also don't want to ruin them.

I'm working here until 4:45. My call for TnT is at 6:00. I don't have time for this today.

I wish it would rain.

~A~

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* cause I bet you need them...even if they're only cyber hugs :(

brooke said...

Aw, I'm sorry. I've had days like that. *more hugs*

Anonymous said...

~hugs~ I hate crying in public. and? more ~hugs~.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna jump on the cyber hug bandwagon. I'm sorry for whatever happened, and I hope you'll feel better soon

Anonymous said...

*Hugs*... you are an extraordinary human being... positive energy your way...

TKTC said...

I hate this. How is it that when you're home in your own space, falling apart after holding it in can feel so incredibly good but at the wrong time? Everything just feels compounded. It's Friday and I hope the weekend goes a lot better.

Bayjb said...

I hate crying at work and in public. I just would rather do it in private. Sending positive thoughts your way and hugs. It'll be okay, even if that seems hard to believe now.

io0011 said...

As my mom use to say:

This too shall pass.

Did you know I had a thing for you in highschool? And I never really stop loving those I once had.

You got my number if you DO want to make that phone call.

*Looks at time*

Life > I

Life < You ?

time to be a marine again.

Kateless said...

I'm sending you karmic hugs. Chicago is a great city to be sad in though, it wraps you up in whatever emotion you feel and lets you be that. It doesnt try to convice you that you are anything else.

I hope you kick ass with TnT tonight and if you have to be the girl that cries at the wedding, so be it. :)

Love from Texas.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

*hugs* Hang in there

You know.. sometimes a bit of crying helps. I cried at work, in private, after getting off the phone with Ex

Renee said...

It rained here tonight. That means it rained in Chicago, yeah? I hope you got the rain you need.

CN said...

Well if I could talk to you live I would. Know that I'm here for you, bad advice, stick in the floodgates, whatever. :)

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

We've all been there with the crying in public. It SUCKS. (And I'm so with you. When someone asks me if I'm okay? BAD IDEA. That's all I'm sayin')

Lots of hugs.

Rachel said...

I send you hugs, since I'm a mom they are extra comforting :D

Surprise tears suck. I had them a little while ago and everyone I called were confused by them, which of course makes the tears last longer since you are trying to explain yourself (which just leads to talking about it way past the point you should have).

So once again *momma hugs*

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing writer. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Feel better, honey! :(

Angela said...

To Heidi - *hugs* Thanks.

To Seven - *hugs* Thank you.

To verybadcat - ~hugs~ Crying in public blows.

To onlyslightlyneurotic - *hugs* Thanks. I do now.

To Amy - *hugs* Thank you so much. The positive energy totally worked.

To ToKissTheCook - The weekend did go better. Thank you.

To bayjb - I hate it, too. Miserable experience. Thanks for the positive thoughts and hugs. I needed them.

To io0011 - No.

To Kateless - I've never thought of Chicago in that light, but you're absolutely right. I managed to not cry at the wedding any of the 3 times I did it this weekend. Thanz for the love. :)

To Fabulously Broke - *hugs* Thank you. It's good to know I'm not the only one who cries at work.

To Renee - It did end up raining on Saturday, and that's when everything got better. Problems solved, thank goodness.

To CK1 - Thank you, CK. I appreciate it. :)

To Ashley - It does suck. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes into further despair upon inquiry. Thanks for the hugs.

To Rachel - Thanks for the momma hugs. They are comforting.

To Kristens81 - Thank you on both counts. :)

To gooseberried - Thanks. I do now.