Monday, September 8, 2008

Blogiversary

(picture taken a year ago, the same week that this blog was born.)

As you may recall, this isn't my first blog. I had one for four years that was lost in the Diary-X crash of 2006. I was so crushed by the loss that I thought I'd never blog again. I'm glad I was wrong.

If you'd told me when I started this that I'd still be blogging in a year, I'm not sure I would've believed you. If you'd told me that I would actually be "a blogger", and not just a person with a blog, I would've rolled my eyes. If you'd told me that I'd go to blogger meet-ups? I would've laughed. And if you'd told me that my relationships with people I'd met online would become as precious to me, if not more so, than the relationships I've developed in the real world? I would've cried.

But I'm proud of where the last year has taken me. I'm happy to be able to look back and have a chronicle of my life. I've made great friends through blogging. I've met amazing people as a result, both online and in real life.

I want to thank you all for being a part of my life. And while I couldn't possibly thank each and every one of you, there are many deserved thanks that I cannot ignore.

Thank you Amy, for reaching out to a stranger in a time of need.

Thank you Barry, for reading my blog from the beginning, and continuing to keep up with it even as you've forgotten your own.

Thank you Brian, for listening to me ramble for hours and hours in between the blog posts. And thank you for continuing to read all of them, even during the bad times.

Thank you C, for sharing such beautiful stories and large margaritas with me.

Thank you D, for organizing the meet-up that started the rest of my adventures in blogger-land.

Thank you Dan, for having a playful spirit. I love that you're willing to dance, wear pirate hats, and do origami to put smiles on other people's faces.

Thank you Fabulously Broke, for linking to my posts and sending tons of traffic my way.

Thank you Gary for all of your emailed support. It means a lot to me that you put so much thought into our correspondence.

Thank you Heidi, for always leaving such encouraging comments. You've given me some amazing compliments for my book.

Thank you Jenn, for being there for me when I really needed someone.

Thank you Jess, for designing a fantastic header for me.

Thank you Jessi, for telling stories about "rage girl" and making me feel braver.

Thank you Joy, for always putting me at ease. And for informing me of the stupid things I did while intoxicated. And also for being a total rock star at karaoke.

Thank you Julia for reminding me of myself at a younger age. I'm reliving life vicariously through you a little bit. I hope that you'll be able to continue blogging as you start college, because I always get excited to see new things from you show up on my Google Reader. (NOTE TO ALL: Check this chick out. She's seriously awesome.)

Thank you Katie, for recommending my blog on Blog Day, as well as on several other occasions. And also for always sharing awesome stuff on Google Reader.

Thank you Kendrick, for believing that I had potential as a blogger before I'd even nailed down a style.

Thank you Nico, for making me feel like everything I write is worth reading. You might very well be my biggest fan, and I can't tell you how encouraging it has been to read your comments.

Thank you Nilsa, for always cheering me on.

Thank you Pete, for making me feel safe and never judging me.

Thank you Rachel, for comforting and cheering me in a way that only moms can. And thank you for being the best commenter ever.

Thank you Renee, for telling me to join 20-Something Bloggers. Thank you for adding your voice to the blogging world and saying I inspired you to do so (which is one of the greatest compliments I have ever received). And thank you for sending me the yoga mat that I now spend time with on a daily basis.

Thank you Ricky, for allowing me to know you on such a deep level, and for being a friend to me when I really needed one.

Thank you Ailene and Ian for beginning blogs of your own and allowing me to think that I may have had something to do with it.

Thank you The Infernum Flame and ShadowJim for introducing me to glorious things like The Guild and Rock Band which have improved my life significantly.

Thank you Angie, Cheryl, Deutlich, Erin, Jamie, Jessi, K, Kayleigh, Maxie, Princess Pointful, Slaus, and Veronica, for entering my world and allowing me to see what fascinating and wonderful people you all are.

Thank you to all my readers, especially those of you who leave comments. Getting feedback on this blog makes me feel like I have some sort of purpose with it. At several times in the last year, my readers have been better friends to me than the people I've surrounded myself with in real life. Thank you for all the support, the advice, and the encouragement. You mean so much to me, and I don't even know most of you.


May every year get better.

~A~


P.S. If you want to get me a really great blogiversary present, I'd love a bit of delurking. Comments -- whether from strangers or from friends -- are always appreciated. Just say hello, and you'll make me smile. :)

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww happy blogoversary gal! Love your grad school stories :) despite my lack of commenting your blog is always one of my favorites to read :)

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary! I'm a new, anxious reader. You seem rad.

Anonymous said...

This was a sweet post. Happy Blogiversary!

Pixelation said...

You = awesome. There, I said it. I'd show you the logical proof, but I think everyone can do the calculus in their heads.

Nilsa S. said...

Happy blogiversary! Yay, Angela! So exciting that you've come this far and met this many people. I don't think any of us thought we'd get this far in the blogging world - but, it's sure been a fun ride. Keep it up!

Teena in Toronto said...

Happy blogoversary!

Downbeat said...

Awwww, happy blogiversary! That made me a little misty seeing how you've opened yourself up to being changed by so many new people. I hope you're having fun down there in sunny Florida!

Renee said...

Happy Blogiversary! I love you and I love your blog and I love that this has become a great way to keep in touch post-SMC. Enjoy your yoga mat!!

Unknown said...

Shine on, sunshine. :) You deserve all that you have.

It would seem that your blog is not quite as blocked as in recent months!

Suggs said...

Happy Blogiversary, Ange! I'm glad to be a reader and an inter-friend.

B said...

aww, Happy Blogiverary to you!!

Aileen said...

1. Yep, you are HUGE reason that I've kept up with this.

2. Do it. Go for the short haircut! I'll post pics of how my hair used to look. I'd never go back!!!

Heidi Renée said...

Congratulations on one year here! I still really, really miss Diary-X. I hadn't backed up any of my three journals. :(

If you get a short haircut, will you have to redo your headshots? Do you need to use headshots while you're in school?

Jax said...

hello!
happy blogoversary. I love your blog, your musings, and your playlists - hope all is going well in Fla.!

P said...

Happy blogiversary - I hope the year to come is filled with lots of fun and new adventures for you!!!

Ashley D said...

Happy Blogoversary! I don't comment nearly enough, but know that I am reading quite regularly. :)

Valerie said...

Happy Blogiversary!

~Valerie

p.s. Just a couple days ago I ran across the little slip of paper you wrote your blog web address on and gave to me at the Nano wrap-up party.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aiea! I'm still reading, but from West Haven, CT instead of Buffalo, NY. Happy blogiversary and belated congrats on your grad school beginnings :)

Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary

as for safety you are clearly forgetting about the time we ran with scissors through the abandoned rusty nail factory they built over that nuclear waste storage facility.

Martinbg said...

Hello.

Well, I've left some comments here in the past, but that has become something of a distant past. (Months ago.) But I'm still here, lurking.

And congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary! I know I've commented in the past, but it's not very often!

Larissa said...

Happy Blogiversary! May this next year bring lots of great blogging material :)

Katelin said...

happy blogoversary!

heart this post and your blog and if i met you i'm pretty sure i would heart you too :)

Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary!

this was such a great post and a sweet way to celebrate!

Andrea said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

SOMEONE has to remind you of the hilarious stuff you do when you're wasted. :)

And it seems like it's been a very full/busy/insane year for you. Get psyched for year 2! :)

A said...

Happy Blogoversary!

May your next blogging year be full of learning and love :)

Michael said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

courtney said...

i guess i'm delurking, even though I think I've commented here once or twice...

but i must say,
Happy Blogiversary!

can't wait to see what the next year brings for you...

Megkathleen said...

Congrats on your blogiversary!!

Princess Pointful said...

Aw! Happy blogoversary and thanks for the love! It is funny how we inadvertently end up in these great little friendship bubbles, hey?

CN said...

Sniffle.

Kateless said...

Congrats on a year! I miss DX too! I cant be Willowswhip again, but I sure I wish I still had those posts, it was such a big part of our lives back then- you know?

Cheryl said...

Thank YOU! You're welcome. And happy blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

I want a big foam hand that says Angelaboration is #1 like the kind you see at football games.

Where can I get one of these?

Bayjb said...

Aww honey happy blogoversary. There is a rage girl inside you that makes you brave even though I think you're one of the most fearless people I know :)

Julia said...

happy blogiversary, and thanks for the lovely shout out.

I made my blog private, which I really didn't want to do, but feel that I have to, at least for a little while, so if you send your email to jwejcher@uvm.edu, I'll get you access.

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

Happy blogiversary! If I ever visit Florida (and I might, my dad lives there) -- you'll have to treat me to a large bowl of alcohol too!

(P.s. = mevstheasphalt.blogspot.com)

ShadowJim said...

You're most welcome. And thanks for making my life better, too--between movie and TV series suggestions and general hang out-age.

Happy blogiversary! I need to check to see how long I've had my blog...

Daniel Boughton said...

Blog is different when you're lifing it, enh? Wait, I meant . . . nevermind.
I had never heard of the word blogiversary before this.
Congratulations on your blogiversary!
P.S. I voted Audrey Hepburn mostly b/c she's awesome; your hair looks awesome anyway I have seen it so it shouldn't really matter in a sense of absolute value but I thought a change might be fitting.

Mega said...

You're welcome!

William Molloy said...

Haven't said hello in a while. Blog a whole year old. Well done.

Thanks for the little comment, just for the record.

You suggested 20-something bloggers before, but I presume you have to be 20-something for that! I'm almost there.

I'll try to visit a little more frequently. Nice one!