(Me and "Iceman", the classmate who knew exactly how to comfort me.)
Last night was... interesting.
One of the directing students threw a gathering/party that tons of people from all three classes were able to attend. I stuck to water all night long, but mostly everyone was pretty hammered. Here's a summary of important events:
- One of my male drunken classmates told a female classmate that he wants to sleep with her. (NOTE: He has a serious girlfriend.)
- One of my female drunken classmates was ALL OVER a male drunken classmate. (NOTE: He has a serious girlfriend.)
- One of my drunken classmates made me cry.
- One of my drunken classmates comforted me from crying with tremendous skill, and I felt far better once it was all over than I had felt even before I was crying. He told me how grateful he is that I'm in his class, and that he appreciates how I bring something to classes that no one else does. He said he thinks it's important that I come into everything with a spirit of honesty, and that he knows I'm talented. It was the best cheer up speech I've heard in a long, long time.
- I started seriously considering getting a drastically short haircut.
Thoughts?
- The classmate who reacted badly to my hug last week? I haven't touched him since, for fear of doing something wrong. When he was leaving, I went for a handshake. He grabbed my hand with both of his hands warmly. I sat back down in my chair and faced away from him. He put his hands on my shoulders with care and began telling everyone I was near how great he thinks I am. So I reached behind me to give him a sort of backwards hug around the legs, saying, "Awww, thanks." He pushed my hands away, was clearly upset, and walked away. (NOTE: I was sitting in a chair with a back on it, so the reach was awkward, I barely touched his clothed legs, and there was a chair between us. It was not in any way, shape, or form a sexual advance or a flirtatious move. And HE TOUCHED ME FIRST!)
- One of my classmates drunkenly insisted on starting a conversation on the strangest places we'd had sex, which led to me breaking rule #33 in an awkward and uncomfortable manner. (33. Don’t tell classmates about my (lack of a) sexual history. Remember that it is none of their business.) Now everyone knows. And I wish they didn't.
- I think a guy was flirting with me. He's not in the program, so part of me thinks that he isn't really out of bounds according to my self-imposed stipulations (no one in the program, ESPECIALLY not in my class). But he's the roommate of one of my classmates, and he works for the theatre, so it wouldn't come without complications. Don't know him very well yet, so I guess I shouldn't think too much about it. It's incredibly possible that nothing will ever happen, so why should I stress?
- I went out to breakfast with the braver, more awake people from the group. I didn't get home until about 6:15am. It's been a very long time since I've seen 6:15am from that end of the day.
There's one more resolution I've broken, by the way...
5. Do not gossip behind people’s backs.
I can't help it. It's human nature. I'm sorry, but there's just no way I'm going to be able to make it through this without venting.
My method of limiting the damage is to only discuss things with people from other classes. And by people, I mean my two roommates (a 3rd year and a 2nd year), and our neighbor girls (a 3rd year and a 2nd year). The four of us get together and say what we need to say about our respective classes with the knowledge that it will not go beyond us. And that's a beautiful thing.
May you refrain from using alcohol as an excuse.
~A~
Saturday, September 6, 2008
When Other People Drink
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















8 comments:
just a note about the guy being weird about hugs... I obviously don't know without knowing the guy and witnessing the events, but here is a possibility...
it's a fairly common way, among guys who use psychology techniques while dating, to create interest in the female...
girls want what they can't have...
girls like the jerk (or have jerklike tendencies)...
girls feel guilty when a guy is acting mad at them...
girls like guys who stand out from the pack...
girls are confused by guys who don't treat them like every other girl...
just saying it could be a strategy to create attraction, yeah i know that sounds crazy, but i know it works sometimes. Girls use touching the guy as a way to show they are interested, a light touch on the arm or leg or even a hug... so, one of the things I've said to a girl before, when i know she is interested, she will touch my arm or something during the conversation and I will stop talking and look at the spot she touched me and with a perfect deadpan delivery i'll say something like, 'don't touch me again'...
of course it completely throws her for a loop and she feels awkward about it... but pretty soon the conversation keeps going well and she will do it again, and i will do the same thing, except this time i will say something like 'you can't help yourself can you, you just gotta put your hands all over me, don't you!" and then i will say something like 'it's ok, you can touch me, but don't get any ideas, i'm not going to sleep with you", of course this puts them in a weird frame of mind because usually they are the ones doing the rejecting... and no one likes being rejected so then they work harder to get me interested in them.
this is just some basic stuff that completely goes against logic, but works well. it sounds kinda creepy, but it's all in the delivery and only in certain conversations with certain girls... they can tell that i'm joking, but it's a way of flirting that makes a guy stand out...
Just FYI...
of course your guy friend seems to be taking this idea to extremes if this is actually the case... best bet is probably to never touch him.
That guy sounds like he has some issues. I don't have any advice for you, except maybe say something like, "I seem to have offended you... could we talk about this?" and try to figure out what his damage is. :)
And dood... the Hepburn on you? Would be so cute.
I agree with seven about that guy, I think he has issues and maybe you could talk to him about what's acceptable, and what's not, since you've got a few years to go.
As for the hair...keep it long! I'm not sure about you and short hair (though I could be projecting since I know I wouldn't suit mine short...hm...)
I really think it's weird about the guy you hugged. I wouldn't blame you for feeling confused! He seems really off-and-on about touching people. I don't know... I guess some people are just like that.
And really, don't worry about telling your classmates about your history. I'm sure they don't care as much as you think they do. It's probably one of those things where they just leave it at that, and don't give it a second though. I wouldn't fret over it. It's not a big deal if you don't make it a big deal!
The hug thing is weird and I will keep it at that. I read the post and was like "uhhh.. did I miss something" Angela are you sure you didnt take a grab at his ass or something?
Its so good to see you getting youself and your new you all figured out in FL.
Hugs from Chicago and I am still sad we were only able to meet once.
"- One of my drunkenly insisted on starting a conversation on the strangest places we'd had sex, which led to me breaking rule #33 in an awkward and uncomfortable manner. (33. Don’t tell classmates about my (lack of a) sexual history. Remember that it is none of their business.) Now everyone knows. And I wish they didn't."
Funny you should mention this....
I'm sure you know/have figured out my own lack of sexual history by now. Well, last night, people in my dorm were discussing their most awkward sex stories. I was tellingly quiet, and felt supremely awkward. I found myself wondering how you handled this in college. Any tips?
OK, this hugging guy? Yeah, he seems to have some sort of weird problem. Forget him.
And the roommate of the classmate...well life is going to be complicated, no matter what. Go for it!
It's too late for you, but I'll post this for Julia's benefit.
Just smile apologetically and say your stories are, or your sex life is, really boring.
Nobody can fault you for not having crazy stories to report and won't even get to the point where they figure out that you have no stories to report.
Or they may think you are lying, which adds to your personal intrigue.
Or some of the guys may take it upon themselves to try to create some crazy stories for you. You can allow them to do so as you see fit.
If you feel compelled to stretch the truth, use a broad, non-Clintonian, definition of sex, or "sexual experiences" which can encompass anything from kissing up to DVDA MMMMF in Tijuana. Don't look that up. "one time this guy and i spent all night on the beach" - might be true, doesn't say anything about sex, people can interpret it as they will. "I was at a party with this guy I knew and we were in the kitchen and things got a little out of hand" - you don't have to mention it was because there was a grease fire.
Trust me on these things. Lawyers make a living out of not answering questions they are supposed to answer, but not lying.
Also hugging guy has a screw loose.
Post a Comment