Saturday, September 13, 2008

Secretly Cinderella



[NOTE: Part of this post was taken verbatim from yesterday's post on my grad school blog, but this one is longer and more detailed.]

Today was my first audition at grad school. And it was... weird.

Normally, auditioning doesn't make me nervous. My Shakespeare coaches taught me to go into every audition with the mentality that I'm proud of what I've worked on, I'd like to share it with them, I think they'll like it, and it doesn't bother me if I'm not what they're looking for.

But this wasn't like most auditions.

Usually when you audition for things, you don't know any of the people in the room with you. Today wasn't like that. When I walked out onto the stage, I saw:

- My Analysis Professor (who is also the head of the program)
- My Acting Professor
- My Voice Professor
- My Movement Professor
- The 2nd Year Acting Professor (who is the woman who called me back at URTAs both years)
- Three 2nd year directing students, who are in two of my classes with me
- One of my roommates (she was helping to run the auditions and time monologues)

Yeah. Weird.

And I know they're all on my side. But to see people out of the corner of your eye writing things down on notepads, and knowing that it's not just about whether to cast you, but also all the flaws that they need to correct over the next three years?

Nerve-wracking.

I totally rushed my pieces. By about 10-20 seconds. Which doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot (especially when you have 3 minutes to do two monologues).

I talked to my roommate, and she said I did a great job. She also complimented my choice of monologues, saying they were of excellent contrast (something that not everyone achieved with their pieces).

Apparently, most people start figuring out what their "type" is while there here. Some are obvious from the get-go. One of my classmates is clearly built to be an ingenue. One is a tough guy. One girl looks more maternal. One guy is the pretty-boy leading man. One is going to be our main "character actor". This is not to say that they can't do other things; they can. Everyone here is a versatile actor. But in this business, it's good to know who you are, what people think of you, and what you can specialize in. It'll help you get more work.

No one can really type me yet. One of my classmates said he was mentally putting me as "the sexpot", but now that he's gotten to know me, I think I've broken that in his mind. No one else has really given me a good idea of what I might end up being.

My roommate said that, based on my audition, she thinks I'm going to play both extremes: leading ladies AND character roles. I really, really, really hope she's right. That would be the ideal situation for me. Specialization is nice and all, but I'd really love to have the opportunity to try the leading lady role. Once I hone that skill, I think I can rock it. And, more importantly, I don't want to be shut off from any path yet. I want to try a little of everything.

I tend to be cast in "character actress" sorts of roles. Not that I don't adore character work; I do. (Clearly... I did, after all, create Carmella and Hot Cocoa.) But just once, I'd like to be something a little different. In college, I played an Irish priest, a karate-fighting Mexian lawyer nun, a dead 75-year-old British woman, an ugly stepsister, a 50-year-old church gossip, a new-age sort of hippie... But I've never played the protagonist. I've never been the love interest that the leading man was trying to pursue. I've never played the strong young woman that I think is part of who I am in life.

I want to know what it is to be Cinderella instead of an ugly stepsister. And I know I can do it. I hope they realize that, too.

Apparently, they type you with your understudy assignments. If that's true, then I should have a better idea sometime next week.

Well, I should go do some homework. I've been switching between working on my Oedipus paper and watching season 4 of Battlestar Galactica (which takes forever, because I'm doing it online and nothing loads quickly). I'm also headed to a party tonight that's being thrown by some of the program's donors. Apparently it's an annual event and usually ends with several people getting naked. I plan to leave before it gets to that point.


May you know who you are and, more importantly, who you can be.

~A~

14 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

Does the nakedness happen before or after the donors leave?

I think you'd be great in any role--I hope you get what makes you happy.

Gretchen Alice said...

Your updates are so fascinating to read. I'm glad the audition went well!

Anonymous said...

I always hated auditioning for people I knew in college.

I can totally see where someone would categorize you as "sexpot" from a photo - you are amazingly gorgeous and mysterious in pictures. And then they get to know the zany real you and that image is completely blown to the wind. You are a gem.

BTW, I love Oedipus.

-Angela-

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

It sounds like any circle of friends really, everyone plays a role.

Julia said...

This is what your entry made me think of:
my friends (from home) and I have this habit of, during any movie or tv show that we watch together, casting us as each of the characters. And it's crazy how true it can be, or sometimes just hilarious. But then there's me. And I barely ever fir a character. My one friend is the slightly crazy, don't-mess-with-me one, another is the no-nonsense man-hater, another the sensitive girl. I am....?

But I think you're lucky. I can imagine that, as an actress, not being too typecast would be wonderful. And I hope you get the chance to play the leading lady really soon.

Princess Pointful said...

It is hard to know whether them knowing you in advance makes them more or less likely to typecast you, I would think.

Pretty Unfamous said...

Even from just your personality on this blog, you seem like the perfect person to play any sort of role. You seem like you can pull anything off and do it great. I'm sure your audition went really well Angela!

Lauren said...

I could imagine that being incredible nerve wracking. I'm sure you did terrific, though. I think, like you said, it would be nice to play an array of parts--so you're not just stuck in one genre. Good luck getting that leading lady role. :)

**Melissa** said...

Do you think they perhaps choose you in a character role because it's the hardest and they know you can pull it off? (Compared to someone not so good but good enough to play the main -but simple- role? I don't know, I'm not very theater-literate... I'm sure you'll make your part!

BTW, Today was my post #100 and I posted my blogroll... OBVIOUSLY you're on it! (I'm your stalker!... good stalker though!) LOL

Julia said...

Aw, being a vegetarian isn't that bad! I've been doing it for... 5.5 years I think. And I'm definitely eating here, probably more healthily than I did at home. Seriously, I think the chances of gaining the freshman 15 here is about a -15% chance.. so much walking, such healthy food.

My post was generally just expressing my lack of a desire or a capability to ever go vegan.

Anonymous said...

I'm so intrigued by your world. And, really, I mean that in the uncreepieset world possible. I did theater throughout high school and sometimes wonder what if. Do you ever post videos of your scenes and such here?

Anonymous said...

Maybe consider how some leading roles are character acting roles - and maybe you're suited to that situation?

I'm not very knowledgeable as to what's available in that way but I bet those parts are as good as yours.

And good luck with the Oedipaper.

Mega said...

You know, I wish I knew something, anything, about the industry to give you a tip. Alas, I do not, but I thought you were quite great when I saw your character. It really cracked me up and was very believable without being over the top. I felt like I was at an italian wedding out somewhere in Jersey, for reals.

You'll do great.

Megkathleen said...

I can't wait to hear who you'll be understudy for! I'm sure your audition went really well!