Hello ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the new year.
First off, I'll give you a quick recap of my 2007, as it seems that's what all the cool bloggers are doing...
(Note: Pictures all taken in 2007, though not necessarily in the months they're near)
(My friends and I went to a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was going for a Magenta-esque look)
JANUARY
- I began temping at my current workplace.
- I took a Shakespeare class.
(Goofing off with my old roomie, Cameron, in his Maverick flight suit)
FEBRUARY
- I was in a staged reading of a new play (in which I was cast as a 50-year-old woman... perfect, obviously).
- I went through my usual "I hate the world" bout with Seasonal Affective Disorder
(My coworker and me in our cubicles on "Jeans Day", the last Friday of the month. It's a major office event.)
MARCH
- I auditioned for a massive amount of productions, and kept getting called back, but not cast.
- I was hired officially by my current workplace (and got benefits and a 401k. Woo-hoo, I'm an adult!).
(Decked out for a "Pirates, Indians, & Gypsies" party. I think I was trying to be a gypsy.)
APRIL
- I was cast in a play-turned-musical production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile.
- I started playing Guitar Hero II. And kicking booty at it.
(In rehearsal for Picasso at the Lapin Agile.)
MAY
- The cast of said production began giving me lessons in "how to drink socially", and bought me drinks wherever we went.
- I won a Baby Name Pool out of over 700 entries.
(A scene from Picasso at the Lapin Agile, in which I played Suzanne.)
JUNE
- I got a promotion at my current workplace. And a raise. Hooray!
- I broke the heart of the fabulous guy I dated for over 2 years.
- Picasso at the Lapin Agile ran for 4 weeks
- I started dating a new fellow, who everyone knew was completely wrong for me (I think even he and I knew it).
(I get dressed up for the Tony Awards every year. My former roommate Anna looked on.)
JULY
- I took another Shakespeare class.
- My roommates and I threw a few parties, culminating in a "Sexy Party", which rocked my world.
(Some of my college friends and I pose at The Sexy Party)
AUGUST
- I moved into a shoebox-size studio apartment.
(Being a dork with my dear friend, Brian, who is on my speed dial)
SEPTEMBER
- I started this blog!
- It hit me that I'd gained 25 pounds in a year. How on Earth did that happen?
(My Picasso castmates Dave & Dane taught me a lot about bars.)
OCTOBER
- I was dumped by the new fellow. Meh.
- I turned 23.
- I took yet another Shakespeare class (Yeah, I'm a geek. So what?)
(Sniffing out my friend Zel on my birthday)
NOVEMBER
- I participated in (and finished) National Novel Writing Month, which might be the coolest thing I've ever done with my life. I've never been more proud of (or more embarrassed by) anything than my unfinished slap-dash novella.
- I participated in (and finished) NaBloPoMo by posting three completely random things per day for the entire month of November.
- I became a vegetarian (which I STILL am, shockingly; I thought it was a two-week experiment, but it's starting to stick).
- A guy told me he was in love with me (note: not one of the two ex-boyfriends).
- I started another blog (I have an addiction). I'm pretty sure no one reads it but me. But I don't even really care... It's just where I throw links I like so that I can find them later on. And if it amuses others, that's just a bonus.
(Laying my claim on my friends Mike and Jim)
DECEMBER
- I was hit by a car.
- I took a vacation from work to head to Connecticut, New York, and Michigan for 11 days (which I'll probably write about in my next entry... Sorry for the delay).
(Goofing off with Anna)
Eventful year, right?
(Playing Guitar Hero II with Anna, still in our Rocky Horror gear)
I also learned that a few of the people I'd basically forgotten about after high school are some of the coolest people I know. And I gained a couple of "dotcomrades" (and a pen-less pen-pal, with whom I exchange epic e-mails that the rest of the world wouldn't appreciate) whom I've grown fond of. I've learned how to pay bills. I've made up a couple of recipes (the sorts of food that only I would dare touch). I've found a new favorite television show (Pushing Daisies, which makes me want to hug my laptop after every episode that I watch alone in my apartment while eating copious amounts of food). All in all, I'd say it was a good year.
(Dancing in Picasso at the Lapin Agile)
And at this time of year, people tend to think about things they should resolve to do differently in their lives, as a fresh year suggests a clean start.
I bet you're wondering whether I kept my resolutions from last year (actually, you probably weren't... people tend to think so hard about upcoming resolutions that they forget about past ones entirely). Honestly, I don't remember what I resolved to do for 2007. No clue. Just another auld lang sigh (forgive the unnecessary pun).
I tried to quit biting my nails for 1993. And pretty much every year since then. It never sticks. One year, I made it until the last week of February, and then went through an emotional breakdown and gave up. I'm not going to try to give it up this year. Frankly, I like biting my nails. It's comforting. And I have a wicked oral fixation, so it's just easier if I leave it alone. (And really, I could have worse habits. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't have sex, and I rarely drink... how bad could nail-biting possibly be?)
In 1996 (I think), I gave up drinking cola (I included Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and anything else that was dark, as I was convinced they were staining my teeth). And I successfully completed the year. I overloaded on Sprite and 7-Up so much that year that they've never been quite as good since.
I have a tendency to follow my Lent resolutions better than my New Year ones. I usually give up two things, so that if I'm a horrible failure at one, I can at least stick with the other. Like the year I gave up "worrying" and "elevators". Or the year I gave up "pursuing boys" and "television I can't learn from" (I was still allowed to watch the news and anything with acting on it, -- I considered that to be professional research -- but I couldn't watch, say, anything on VH1. Including Strange Love, which I believe was entirely contained within Lent that year). Or the year I gave up "excuses" and "computer games". I never make it easy on myself, do I? One year I gave up "red wine vinegar", and it threw my whole immune system out of whack (I came down with several back-to-back mystery illnesses), and vowed never to alter my diet in favor of a Lenten promise again.
Anyway. I don't like the idea of changing things just because it's a new year. If you want to make a change in your life, just do it; don't wait for a year change.
That said, there are some things I want to try to improve with, and now is as good a time as any to get going. So here are a few things I've come up with:
- Make a conscious effort to call my brothers more often.
Now that we're living in three different states, I don't talk to my brothers as often as I should. And I know that if I don't do something about it now, it's just going to get harder as we age. So I'm going to try to call each of them at least once a month, instead of just finding out about them through my parents and their Facebook profiles.
- Be more physically active.
I'm a sedimentary rock. I need to start walking more or something. Haven't put much thought into this yet, clearly, but it needs to be done.
- Learn to accept compliments with more grace.
I've mentioned before that I'm horrible at accepting compliments. I always think people are lying to me. Trying to get on my good side. Or mocking me somehow. I don't know. I have less-than-perfect self-esteem (okay, it's pretty bad). And I usually don't agree with the nice things they say (except with strangers... I'm a little better at taking them from strangers, as strangers have no reason to lie to me. I also enjoy complimenting strangers, and have no problem tapping a woman on the shoulder on public transportation to tell her I dig her shoes/purse/hair). But I want to stop that. I want to believe the nice things people tell me. And deflecting every compliment I get isn't going to help my self-esteem. So I'm going to try to stop. I'm going to learn to look them in the eye, smile, and say thank you. Hopefully, I'll be better at it by the end of the year.
- Memorize the correct spellings of excersize, maitenance (maintainence), and immeadiately.
And everything else on my list of "words that I consistently have trouble spelling for no apparent reason and am frequently embarrassed by when I can't figure out how to get them to spell out in T9 on my cell phone, but I don't want to switch over to the alphabet function because then I KNOW I'm spelling them wrong, and I don't want people to think that I don't know how to spell simple words like corderoy, persue, desparate, and seperate." (If any of the aforementioned italicized words looked right to you, then you might want to make this a resolution for yourself as well.) I swear, I'm generally an excellent speller. And I'm embarrassed every time I have to question the spelling of any common word.
(NOTE: I intentionally used my mistake-spellings of these words instead of the correct ones so that you'd be able to see what I'm doing wrong. I think I've actually mastered separate/desperate now, but I used to mix up which had the "a" in the middle and which had the "e". I included two spellings of maintenance because it's the HARDEST word for me to spell for reasons unbeknownst to me, and I usually go through four spellings before I find the correct one.)
- Finish my NaNoWriMo novel.
It seems that the most vote-getting item is for me to post portions of the unbelievably bad novel I'm working on in a weekly blog as I edit and finish the book. So I will. Now, as my business-oriented brother has told me, he thinks this is a horrid idea, as once something is on the internet, you have no way of protecting it. Someone could steal it easily. My solution at this point is to publish it in a "private" blog (if I do that, I'll leave instructions on this blog as to how to get to it or something) and to use Copyscape or something. If anyone else has any thoughts on how to protect my work as I share it, please let me know. Although I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal my unfinished garbage, but some people are incredibly ill-meaning, so you never know.
And, perhaps the most terrifying of all...
- Figure out what I want to do with my life.
I feel like I should have figured this one out by now. And I have a feeling that at least one person out there is probably confused by this. Well, here's something I've recently talked out with a friend well enough to be able to put on paper: I love acting, but I hate being an actor.
Theatre is the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. I truly believe that theatre can change the world (a belief that I'll have to explain another time in more detail). And I love working in theatre. I love acting more than I possibly put into words. It helps my soul to breathe. It makes me feel powerful to my core. And I'm good at it.
But that's only a small fraction of being an actor. The rest of it is the business behind it. I hate going to audition after audition, callback after callback, putting everything I've got on the line, and never hearing back. I hate wondering if I'm sending the right head shot to the right company. I hate networking, and schmoozing, and acting like remembering someone's name is going to get me a job down the line when I doubt that it actually will. I hate knowing that I'm just another 20-something white girl, and that plenty of other girls who look/sound/act just like me will be showing up to the same audition, and I am not in any way, shape, or form "special". And I hate failure. I don't have the ego to bounce back from long strings of rejection. And I'm not sure that I ever will.
I'm auditioning for graduate schools in February, and I'm not even certain that I want to go. Would it even do me any good? Or will it just make me an even better actor with the same sets of hang-ups and fears that I have now?
My other problem stems from my indecision and my chameleon-like ability to pick up new tricks. I have too many interests, too many skills, and too many talents, and I always feel like there's something different I should be doing (which is perhaps why I went through SO MANY MAJORS in college). There are days when I ask myself why I'm not trying to get into medical school (I love helping people, I'm great at biology, I kick butt in dissection, and medical professions sort of run in my family). There are days that I want to quit my job and be a writer (NaNoWriMo and blogging were the biggest natural highs of my year). There are days I wonder why I'm not in graduate school for Psychology/History/Dentistry... etc. There are days that I wonder if I've been working towards the wrong goal, and the thing that will make me truly happy is right in front of my nose and I'm ignoring it.
And then there are days that I think if I don't get back on stage soon, I'm going to explode.
My love for theatre consumes me. I think about being on stage every day. I run monologues as I'm getting ready to leave the house (which my brother made fun of me for while I was in Connecticut). I read plays on the bus. I save money so that I can go to plays/musicals/workshops/classes/lectures as often as possible. And it gives me so much joy to be a part of it.
But I hate the business. I hate the idea of having to get agents. I hate the idea of being in horrible shows to get my face seen. I don't think I'm strong enough. I'm more likely to believe criticisms than compliments. I'm more likely to get knocked down and stay there. And when push comes to shove, I'm more likely to give up than try harder.
It wasn't easy for me to admit any of that (and there are many people I hope will never read it), but it's the truth.
So this year, I want to figure that out. I want to know whether I want to keep acting, or throw in the towel. I want to figure out if I need to go back to school and get new, usable skills that can help me get a job I'm well-suited for, or if I should keep doing what I'm doing.
As a side note, acting is truly a craft. And it takes far more training and skill than most people realize. All the arts do. So if you meet someone attempting to make a living in the arts, support them. Don't think to yourself that they should get a "real" job. They have real jobs. And chances are good that they're far more passionate about their chosen careers than you are about yours. If they weren't, it'd be impossible to keep going. It's too hard to do if you don't love it with every fiber of your being.
And some people, like myself, are passionately in love with what they do, but hate the means to do it.
May your fresh year give you a fresh perspective on what you want in life.
~A~
(Jumping for joy after bowling a strike on my birthday)
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Unresolved
Rambled by
Angela
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















10 comments:
This is so great. I think I'll have to do a year in review, including pictures. Love it.
I can never ever spell the word occasion correctly. And I was in my school's spelling bee every year.
Now that this tab has been open for about 24 hours, I suppose it is ripe enough to leave a comment. Hopefully it doesn't stink.
I think you should become a ninja. Then you could sneak into people's brains and tell them to cast you in whatever you wanted to be in.
That's how all the big stars do it, anyhow.
Epic post! Thus supporting my short story theory about your blog (which reminds me, for your NaNoWriMo [sp?] novel, you should pick up the 2008 edition of Novel & Short Story Writer's Market because it would be RAD to see you on a bookshelf!).
I leaned forward on your resolution about accepting compliments - It's something I completely identify with and that it's something I should learn how to do also.
Additionally, I'd recommend you keep the 25 pounds as it is my firm belief that real women have curves. This is not based on that eponymous movie.
@ricky d: I support this plan of action for angela to become a ninja. Ninjangela?
Back for seconds!
The "sedimentary rock" was a line out of legend. There was literary genius behind it, through it and just generally slathered all over it. And apparently I don't care who knows it.
Back to the ninja idea. Once you've established your ability to infiltrate the powers that be... Hmmm... This idea seemed so much better in my head.
And my video isn't done processing. Curses! I'm trapped. Why can't I put it down properly?
I'll get back to you on this. It has to do with ScriptFrenzy. And nothing to do with ninjas, really.
@nico: Let's try "Ninjaiea." I think it flows better off the tongue. Like any good ninja should.
*nudges in*
Normally, I wait to respond until I have a new post up, but I wanted to put in my two cents here.
@ Nico & Ricky D
I vote for Ninjela/Ningela. I'll let you two work out the spelling.
(Oh, and Nico, my nickname is Aiea. Didn't want you to be confused about where Ricky D got that Ninjaiea thing from.)
Normally you'd wait until your next post to respond but we were talking about names so you had to put your two cents in.
Ninjela is pretty excellent, I think. It's going to be your name, so I think you've got veto power anyhow.
*races off for work*
To Renee - I'm glad you took it as a challenge. :) I mentioned my resolution to a coworker and told him you had a problem with "occasion". He tried to spell it aloud, and ended up with "ocassion". Take comfort that you're not the only one.
To Ricky D - I knew you'd comment sooner or later. ;) Do ninjas do brain sneakage? I was unaware of this. Must look into it...
To Nico - Glad you liked it. I'll look into that Novel & Short Story Writer's Market thing. I've never heard of it before. And I'm all for having curves (I was underweight a year ago. I'm glad to have my ghetto booty and boobs back), but I've got fat in the wrong places right now. Namely, my neck, which has started turning me into a double-chinned beast in every picture taken of me. Not attractive.
To Ricky D - Happy that someone enjoyed the sedimentary rock line. You nailed me about having to talk about names. And yay for Ninjela winning. I'm thrilled. I'll add it to my list of nicknames (yes, I keep a list).
I'm definitely down with Ninjela. I hope this name is perpetuated!
Ooops. I seem to have posted a comment in the wrong place. I've removed it from here, and placed it where it was supposed to be.
Post a Comment