Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Classy Winner Close to Quitting

79. I love taking theatre classes. They remind me what I love about theatre, without me having to deal with the lousy parts (like auditioning constantly, being rejected, becoming broke, or getting increasingly burnt out). I took half the day off of work yesterday to attend a Shakespeare workshop, where I worked with both my normal instructor and Jeffrey Carlson (whom my Broadway-geek friends might remember as Marilyn in the musical Taboo. And any of the people who stumble across my blog from Best Week Ever Blog will know him as Zarf on All My Children. He's really phenomenal.). Have I mentioned that I love working with Shakespearean text? Because I do. I really, really do. Can't say that enough. I have one session left in my Advanced Monologue class. While I look forward to it, I'm also terribly bummed about it. I think I'm going to take a break from First Folio Shakespeare classes and try something else. I was thinking about taking a class in Circus Arts or Aerial Dance in January. Something to make me more well-rounded as a performer, and not just turn me into a Shakespeare scholar (as much as I'd love to become one).

80. A friend of mine has listed a quotation on her facebook page that troubles me. It's something like "Winners never quit. Quitters never win." My Venn-diagramming skills tell me that there's something wrong with that. If it's true, then who came up with the phrase "Quit while you're ahead"? It couldn't have been a Winner, because they wouldn't quit. It couldn't have been a Quitter, because they never could've gotten ahead. Am I alone here?

81. I'm really beginning to worry about NaNoWriMo. The end is Friday, and I'm behind. I fell asleep while typing last night, and woke up at 6:15am in front of my laptop. I'm going to a play tonight, followed by going to a bar (to meet a friend of a friend, as I mentioned in Code Name: Princess Mojo). Tomorrow, I'm having dinner with my dad, and then going to see the same play again (will explain tomorrow). Thursday I was going to go to a Write-In (meaning a bunch of people go to a bookstore and work on their novels together). And then Friday I have to finish? And I have to send in my grad school audition application stuff this week. And I have some letters to write. And some bills to pay. And I sort of got into a complicated boy situation last night (will explain later). And I'm SO SICK OF WRITING! And what I'm writing is terrible! GAH! I don't know if I'm going to make it. But I'm SO CLOSE!

Please leave some inspiring comments to help me make it through.

6 comments:

... said...

I would just like to say that my mother has dragged me to both Princeton, NJ (to see Candida) and Washington, DC (to see Lorenzaccio) simply because Jeffrey Carlson was in then. She loves him like no other love. I think he's pretty cool too, particularly from his Taboo days and then by being generally awesome in both Candida and Lorenzaccio.

R.E.H. said...

I kinda like Shakespeare too, but I was more into modern plays back when I tried my hand at acting.

And, good luck to you on the NaNoWriMo... your close to the end - fight it out. You're not ahead - so you can't quit while you're ahead, and quitters can't win!

Go, girl, Go! ;)

William Molloy said...

There's surely a comtradiction between the quote and everyday phrase. It doesn't seem very fair on the poor quitters. I don't see why they can't win- discrimination?

Renee said...

You'll be totally bummed if you quit... so fight to the bitter end!

(My advice is way lame, sorry.)

I have a blog now. Scary.

Angela said...

To Christine - Ah! Crazy! He's really amazing. And he has a mohawk right now. This was actually my second time working with him. Remind me to tell you about the time I went to a bar with him...

To R.E.H. - Shakespeare is awesome. I will fight for NaNoWriMo!

To Liam - Clever boy. Made me laugh. Good work.

To Lazy Nay - I added your blog to my link list. Yay!

... said...

Gah, I would love to hear that story!